2 foot long intake yields 10% boost!

Bump. Whatever came of this mod? Did you abandon the longer intake manifold, Andy?

HI,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back....My regular job is starting to get busy again and it has been keeping me from my love of tinkering for a bit....No, I have not given up on the intake mods....my mig welder stopped working and it is still in the shop waiting for a part. I have a new supply of tubing (larger diameter) that I am soooo looking forward to trying out...I have also found more info online that suggested that the intake should be a little shorter so I now have two things to test out....Soon as I get the welder back I hope to resume testing work....with the warm weather out it is just too much fun going out for test rides!
Thanks for your patience!
Andrew

(IMO) 34 to 25mph, I would scrap the whole idea. Nice trying though. I couldn't give up 10mph for alittle low end. I think even if you shorten up the pipe you are still not going to achieve the max speed from the stock intake. Also the only thing good i see coming from this is that its going to be a ram air, instead of facing backwards

Last edited by a moderator:
If theres an interest in the engineering and math behind this, I actually have a book from 1962 that details the tuning of intake and exhauset tubes based on RPM's and displacement, and it discusses 2 and 4 stroke, small dirt bike to full size car, na and blown engines. I built a few engines with this information in the early 90's.
There will be a "sweet spot" rpm range where the engine will indeed feel much more responsive and powerful, and if you get too far above or below this range, it will indeed fall flat on its face, just as Andrew learned. The other side is that in the tuned range, the engine will have (iirc) in the neighborhood of 25% more torque.
I am extending my bikes wheelbase by 20" right now, and when that is done, will be installing a 50cc 2 stroke on it, with a goal of 25mph max, 180mpg, and able to power up anyhill in town. To do that, I'll need all the help I can get, so I will for sure be using the tuning info in my little book.
In case anyone wants to find their own copy at a used book store, the title is "Scientific Design of Exhaust and Intake Systems" and the credited author is Philip H. Smith. It was published by Robert Bently, Inc.
There is really a lot to this. I remember spending the better part of a months worth of evenings reading and studying this book! And here I sit, 15 years later with barely a memory of the details! Ugh time is a killer! :D
Maybe I'll build some tuned manifolds and see what I can sell them for!
So, If there is any interest, I'll be happy to pull out the relevant formulas and definitions for calculating intake and exhaust pipe lengths and post them here.
I looked at the calculator link that was posted, and the problem I see there is that thers no variable for displacement, which is a pretty important variable. Also, there isnt a mention of tube diameter. I do remember that the tube length changed for a givem rpm if the tube diameter changed, so that calculator is a good start, but for as small as our engines are, it wouldn't be very accurate, IMHO.

I went to a go-kart shop the other day and talking to the owner it seems that in karting they use a box before the carb with two intake tubes going in that act like on a bass-booster on stereos, but in this case helps to create that magic rhytm at a certain rpm range in unison with the exhaust.
This box is not an air filter, just an empty box right before the carb. The box size was about 1/2 the volume of the tunned exhaust. Hard to tell the exact volume in relation to the exhaust pipe, because of the different shapes. The box was almost a 6-8"cube with rounded corners with two tubes approx 1" in diameter that went in about 2" inside the box. The tubes, at the entrance on the box surface have that velocity intake shape, I guess to facilitate the air to be funneled in.
The engine was a 125cc two stroke.
So for our HT engines if we use something like this box, I think would have to be a bit smaller. But in any case, a "tunned" box like this makes more sense than a straight intake of any lenght, because it could really amplify the pulsing action of the air flowing in, pretty much like a tunned exhaust does.
I can see a straight long tunned intake work better on a 4 stroke engine than on a 2 stroke though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back