2-seat Trikes ?

F

flyer1

I am looking for a 2-seat trike but only see the workmans so far.These would be great but a bit out of budget.If anyone is aware of others please post.

I also thought of the typical inexpensive trike and removing the rear basket and adapting a seat though I don't know if this would be legal.

I need a means of transporting my 8-yr old to school (3-miles) and my 4-yr old to preschool (2-miles) Shuttle rates are $7.00 each way in my town, out of the question. Any input appreciated !

Thanks S.S.,cool ideas,super high prices.You can get a workman for a lot less.My father's a welder, we could design a trailer like theirs very easily and at a much lower cost.I just don't see thr R/S 35 pulling two people up even a moderate grade.Thanks for the input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks S.S.,cool ideas,super high prices.You can get a workman for a lot less.My father's a welder, we could design a trailer like theirs very easily and at a much lower cost.I just don't see thr R/S 35 pulling two people up even a moderate grade.Thanks for the input.
Take a look around. One of the members here (papasuan) has posted a lot of pictures of his trike, and one he built for his brother, based on Lightfoots designs. I really like the designs, cannot possibly afford the prices, myself.

The R/S 35 will quite easily pull two people, or one person and a LOT of cargo weight up a very steep hill. It's all about the gearing, and using multiple gear clusters. Say a 2 chainring pedal derailleur to a mid-drive 6 speed freewheel cluster to a 6 speed gear set up on each rear wheel. Engine power set up so that it passes through both the mid-drive and the final drives - 72 gears pedalled, 36 gears powered.

I can't do that, cause I've only got one hand which is only partially working, but anybody with two good hands can easily handle the multiple controls. Ideally, I'd put a S/A or Shimano 3 speed internal shifter hub in the mid drive position, with a NuVinci hub final drive to the jackshaft transmitting power to both rear wheel.

Last edited:
What about buying a tandom Bicycle and adapting a trike conversion to the rear. Woulden't need any welding skills due to the conversion is a bolt on aplication.

Personally I like the idea of a trailer. Do a google of "pedicab trailer" for some ideas. The one in this link looks fairly simple if you have welding skills. I like it because you could use it on a trike or a regular bike. It has plenty of room for 2 people. The traile sounds good too because when you don't need it you can detach it,

http://www.pedaltek.com/PEDALCABSALES.html

Heck. plenty of room under that bench seat for 2-3 deep cycle SLA batteries and a motor - make it a pusher trailer while you are at it.

Lots of considerations,trike,trailer,add-a-bike etc.I did find a good basic bike trailer design that could be used as a starting point.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Bicycle-cargo-trailer--200-lb-capacity,-$30-for-pa

These can be made fairly cheaply and the weight capacity is good. I like the design of the pedaltek ones though they are quite wide.Looks like something I saw in the Philippinnes once.

Have to get in touch with the oldman as see if he's up for a project,he usually is.

Thanks for all the input folks.

Back