2 stroke fuel pump

Rusty_S85

Local time
5:39 PM
I did a search but didn't see anything on here about this. Wanted to ask has anyone ever ran a fuel pump on these setups?

https://www.amazon.com/Mikuni-Fuel-...=1505362456&sr=8-4-fkmr1&keywords=Mikuni+VM18

I came across the above a pulse style fuel pump when I was looking at the Mikuni VM18 carb cause I might purchase tonight the carb.

Well since I am running a sediment bowl filter assembly a pump would suck the fuel bowl dry on the sediment bowl but gravity feed it wouldn't and thus wouldn't really know if it ran out of fuel or not.

So I started thinking if someone has hooked one up before and if it worked well enough. If so I have no problem drilling and taping the case to install a barbed fitting for the pulse hose for the pump.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Did you ride it and run out of fuel yet? You know it takes quite a bit of hp to do that...

Havent even got the engine assembled yet. Rather do a mod like this now while the engine is still apart than after I get it together. Just thinking ahead.

I have no experience running a set-up exactly like the one you are looking at, but I am running a Walbro carb with integrated diaphragm type fuel pump. The carb did obviously require a vacuum pulse to work, so I had to drill and tap the crankcase to provide for it. It did require a bit of work, but I love the results.
The only down-side for me, is that it sometimes takes quite a few kicks to start from dead cold after its been sitting for a long while - probably to get the diaphragm fluttering enough to pump gas. - - No float bowl to worry about though.

For me its not so much because I need it. Its the fact that the fuel filter I am running once the tank runs empty the filter will hold fuel and there would be no easy visual to me being out of fuel.

But I really don't need it, just looking at it as it would pull fuel out of the filter once the tank is empty where as with my set up now when the tank is empty the fuel filter will hold fuel and not send it to the carb.

For me its not so much because I need it. Its the fact that the fuel filter I am running once the tank runs empty the filter will hold fuel and there would be no easy visual to me being out of fuel.

But I really don't need it, just looking at it as it would pull fuel out of the filter once the tank is empty where as with my set up now when the tank is empty the fuel filter will hold fuel and not send it to the carb.
Well... There's no obvious solution, for the pump you'd need an additional line that goes into the bottom of the filter, and after adding it all on I think it will both be more complicated than needed and it will cramp the style of the bike.

Unfortunately you may have to rely on the embarrassing method of lifting the rear wheel with the gas cap off and get a visual on the amount of gas in the tank.. I know the method's been around for almost 2 centuries now and the bike must weigh a ton, but you do what you have to do for the things you love I guess...

I also have a bad habit of topping off the tank just before or after almost every ride, it's a nuisance but I never seem to run out of fuel that way...

Well... There's no obvious solution, for the pump you'd need an additional line that goes into the bottom of the filter, and after adding it all on I think it will both be more complicated than needed and it will cramp the style of the bike.

Unfortunately you may have to rely on the embarrassing method of lifting the rear wheel with the gas cap off and get a visual on the amount of gas in the tank.. I know the method's been around for almost 2 centuries now and the bike must weigh a ton, but you do what you have to do for the things you love I guess...

I also have a bad habit of topping off the tank just before or after almost every ride, it's a nuisance but I never seem to run out of fuel that way...[/QUOTE

]
Me too - I fill up every time.

Id love to have a Frakenstein engine Ive seen them raced they don't have much bottom end but they pull hard once you hit mid range.

Back