2 Stroke Jackshaft troubleshooting

Otto Neumann

Local time
9:26 AM
Hi people, I'm beginning to think on a possible 2 stroke bicycle, equipped with a shifting kit from SickBikeParts.com.

For the moment, the bike that matches with my needs, it's equipped with a frontal derailleur and a double sprocket crank assembly; for reference, the pedal assembly it's like this one:

170x53-39-teeth-alloy-double-speed-chain-sprocket-sunlite_1.jpg

Eventually, will the sprocket fit on this kind of crank assembly?
Is there the risk of getting the sprocket out of alignment and summarily being impossible to couple it with the jackshaft?

In addiction, I heard around which the jackshaft kit will disable the frontal derailleur, it sounds illogical, as there wouldn't be something that could mechanically interfere with it.

I can still switch to another mtb and find a more traditional one, but this one that I got available is quite cheap plus its stock gray color will simplify my required repainting job: The same kind of gray it's one of the main colors involved.

Last edited:
I think the fundamental issue is the front freewheel threads on the right crank arm, so that won't work.

I think the fundamental issue is the front freewheel threads on the right crank arm, so that won't work.

Thanks for your reply; it's a problem if the freewheel mechanism it's located on the rear wheel than on the crank assembly?

Generally these bicycles has the freewheel mechanism fitted in the rear cassette, afaik, most of the mtbs that I've seen around emits the characteristical "clickclickclick" from the rear wheel.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply; it's a problem if the freewheel mechanism it's located on the rear wheel than on the crank assembly?

Generally these bicycles has the freewheel mechanism fitted in the rear cassette, afaik, most of the mtbs that I've seen around emits the characteristical "clickclickclick" from the rear wheel.

Explore sickbikeparts.com - you will see how the Shifter Kit works by driving your front chainrings, but allowing free normal pedaling. All via the front freewheel.

Yeah, I know, a second freewheel it's supplied in order to freewheel the jackshaft assembly while the normal pedaling;
I assume that in order for work the choosen bicycle requires a freewheel free crank assembly.

I will need the HD kit as I will fit some racing parts on it,included an high compression head; so as long as the native freewheel mechanism is located on the rear hub, the bike will be compatible?
Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
I will need the HD kit as I will fit some racing parts on it,included an high compression head; so as long as the freewheel mechanism is located on the rear hub, the bike will be compatible?
Thanks for your help!

You will need the front freewheel. Think about it. Your pedals will spin without some freewheel action at that point.

You will need the front freewheel. Think about it. Your pedals will spin without some freewheel action at that point.

Thanks, so if the freewheel will fit on the crank, has the jackshaft a minimum extra wideness to play with, for compensate the extra lateral distance of the sprocket?

Last edited:
Thanks, so if the freewheel will fit on the crank, has the jackshaft a minimum extra wideness to play with, for compensate the extra lateral distance of the sprocket?

Not a problem, it is easily all lined up. Thanks

Back