2 stroke of 4 stroke for running dogs?

Mohawk Dave

Local time
6:21 PM
Hi all,

I'm a newb to motored bikes, but I grew up riding 2 stroke Moto-x and 4 stroke everything else.

One of my K9s can/will run 6+ miles. I have bad knees from jumping, hooah! so I don't run that far anymore. I like to use my ATC with him but that's not too cool for the neighbors.

I believe a 4 stroke would be better for really slow speeds as opposed to carbon build up on the 2 stroke. I think the 4 stroke will be quieter as well, even if I need to change/upgrade the muffler.

I do not need to go fast as I have other toys for that. This is just a dog running adventure.

I just bought a cheapie Walmart bike, the Columbia 1937 beach cruiser thing that I will be using. (Photo attached)

And unless you tell me otherwise, I was going to order from CaliforniaMotorbikes. I read reviews on here, and saw some positive and some negative. So not sure....

Thanks for everything and awesome forum! -Dave

Attachments

• 1937.jpg
    1937.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 129
I think a decent harness for the dogs would be best, and a single axle wagon deal with a small seat, they will have no trouble pulling you on it

I think a decent harness for the dogs would be best, and a single axle wagon deal with a small seat, they will have no trouble pulling you on it

Thanks for thinking outside the box, but that's not what we're looking for. We live in a pretty hilly area, even though it has very nice paved streets. My other dog, a 10 year old Brazilian Mastiff is not able to pull (old hips) but she can walk/trot several miles: so, alas, the motorized bike is the ticket. (I want a RadRover electric, but that will come later).

I would suggest electric. Surely that pretend gas tank can be put to some actual use, like to house the batteries (with vent holes added)?

6+ miles isn't exactly much. How many legs does your dog have? :eek: Is it a miniature dachshund? :p
Just saying because I used to use my hard tail jump/single-track bike or my BMXes for running my Border Collie cross GSD,. We usually did around 100 miles per week in the pleasant weather months, up to 30 miles in a day if followed by a rest day. I think 10 miles was about the bare minimum to avoid getting whined at all evening by a restless mutt. :rolleyes:
I miss her :(

I wouldn't go for a 2 stroke. Even if you extend the exhaust pipe right out under the Burley trailer that your Fila Braziliero rides in. Too much bad chemicals in 2 stroke exhaust gases.
I would want to extend the exhaust well out of the way, even on a 4 stroke.
Or go electric. :cool:
Or just pedal, if your dog can only run 6 miles. :oops: Get some bloody exercise, it's actually good for you believe it or not. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your concern, but as I stated, too many jumps from Chinooks took a toll on my knees. Meniscus and patella are all jacked up, believe it or not :rolleyes:. I excerise plenty, just don't run. (I don't know how you assume you know how much I exercise when you don't know me???)

And the dogs don't need a trailer. They are 10/11 years old but still healthy enough to do 6+ miles. And my pennies are not stacked high enough to get electric right now.

The dogs will be side-set from the bike with a tube that mounts to my seat post. I've done that in the past on a pedal bike and we had no problems.

Thanks for your concern, but as I stated, too many jumps from Chinooks took a toll on my knees. Meniscus and patella are all jacked up, believe it or not :rolleyes:. I excerise plenty, just don't run. (I don't know how you assume you know how much I exercise when you don't know me???)

And the dogs don't need a trailer. They are 10/11 years old but still healthy enough to do 6+ miles. And my pennies are not stacked high enough to get electric right now.

The dogs will be side-set from the bike with a tube that mounts to my seat post. I've done that in the past on a pedal bike and we had no problems.
Sorry. Didn't mean to offend.

Decent 4 stroke kits aren't particularly cheap but the cost of electric is mainly the battery which needn't be big (or maybe not lithium?) for a 10 mile range and low speed.
Anyway I just wouldn't recommend the 2 stroke due to the exhaust. It's more of a hobby than a bolt on kit anyway IMHO.

Back