2 Stroke or 4 stroke. Can't make up my mind.

M_Saint

Local time
6:22 PM
I live in Pa so I need to stay under the 50cc limit so I can get my bike titled as a moped. I really like 4 strokes but I do know that a 2 stroke of the same cc will always make a little more horse power. My intent is to use the bike for my 30 mile round trip to work and back 5 days a week in the warmer months.

I am new to the motor biking thing and need some advice as I am not real knowledgeable pertaining to the performance of either. Nor on the reliability factors.

This is the 4 stroke kit I have been looking at http://www.bicycle-engines.com/49cc-complete-powered-engine-p-156.html I would run it with the heavy duty axle and hub brake they offer.

As for which 2 stroke. I have been reading and reading and still have not come up with one that stands out more than the others. Are the bicycle-engines.com 2 strokes any good or are everyones engines being sold more or less the same. Also is the CC marked on the 2 stroke engines somewhere or only on the receipt :) ?

There is also the option with a 2 stroke to do a horse power upgrade once I have the bike titled so that is attractive to me.

I have already ordered a bike from my local dealer and purchased a set of welded heavy duty Monarch forks. Now all I need to do is figure out power and drive train. Help doing this would be much appreciated.

good morning and welcome to you

if you go into the search engine here on site
you should be able to find a lot of information
regarding --- 2-stroke or 4-stroke

for a four stroke ---- I like the Robin and Honda
2-stroke ----------- Mit
if you are looking for true quality -- these fit the bill...

have fun as you build that THING and ride that THING

good morning and welcome to you

if you go into the search engine here on site
you should be able to find a lot of information
regarding --- 2-stroke or 4-stroke

for a four stroke ---- I like the Robin and Honda
2-stroke ----------- Mit

have fun as you build that THING and ride that THING

I've searched here and read alot but still haven't come to a decision.

For 30 mile round trips I would go with a rack mounted set up. In general I would stay away from the engine gear boxes you are looking at. If you want a 2 stroke try the Mitsubishi at Staton.

A $400 Dax set up is the lowest price or $550 Staton Robin Subaru will fit the bill for a long commute and reliability.

Well my friend, since you asked for opinions.

I think a 30 mile commute 5 days a week on a motorized bicycle is beyond the scope of what they are intended for. Not trying to be snarky here, it's just asking a lot.

MBs are not motorcycles. There is bound to be reliabilty issues with just about any bicycle, engine or mount in the motorized bicycle category with a daily pounding under the need to get somewhere on time. Further, I think it would be risky as heck dealing with traffic and road hazards at that distance daily.
Also, the rider is gonna take a pounding. Maybe you can mitigate that a little with a full suspension bike but then you limit your mounting choices.

Don't mean to be a wet blanket here but I wonder if you've thought this through? I can go out and put 20 or 30 miles on one of my bikes but I take all afternoon if I need to and stop when I want and sometimes alter my route to get away from traffic. Hate to see you set up expectations you're gonna be disappointed with. I'm really of the opinion using a MB for a daily commute would be limited to 5 miles each way, MAX.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents on that.

2 stroke or 4 stroke? I have both and I like the 4 for quiet but if I was thinking about a long commute with a lot of WOT, I'd go with a 2 stoke every time. Engine choices? Stick with Robin, Honda, Mitsu, Tanaka.

I think it would be risky as heck dealing with traffic and road hazards at that distance daily.
Also, the rider is gonna take a pounding. Maybe you can mitigate that a little with a full suspension bike but then you limit your mounting choices.

Heh .. I deal with that now except Im pedaling on a road bike :)

If it's a tough decision between two-strokes and four-stroke engines, consider the facts that you will be adding $1 worth of oil for every gallon of gas. If gas costs $2.50/gallon, oil will add 40% to that cost.

And of course, there's the advantage of not having to store pre-mixed gas, and the luxury of pulling up at any gas pump.

For 30-mile daily commutes, I'd build two quality full-suspension bikes for less wear and tear on you and the bikes. Both would have 1.6hp Subaru four-stroke engines and friction drives, and I'd rotate them every other day.

Bicycle maintenance would be very important. When one bike is down for maintenance or repairs, the other keeps on going.

At 220 mpg, that'd cost you three gallons of gas per month, say $7.50, plus $3 more if using a two-stroke engine.

The motorized bikes would pay for themselves in four months or less.

For a 43 yo guy in reasonably good shape, it is do-able.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a couple of rack mounted mits engines on dual suspension mountain bikes. They're both awesome. If you're not looking to off-road go with the friction drive. They're really smooth and they are so light you can easily lift the engine and ride the bike under pedal power just like it was before you motorized it. They do have the disadvantage of wet weather drive slippage but if you're used to pedaling anyway it shouldn't be a problem. Check out the links in my signature. The NEXT is definitely my preferred bike for on road cruising. The bicycle itself was only about $170 from wallyworld and the staton mitts kit with dual engagement rods and 8in extension brackets was about $500. I used some beefy continental town & country 26x2.1 tires. I could definitely do a 30 mile trip on one of these. It's not hard to carry enough fuel either. I just use some old transmission fluid/oil quart jugs and strap them to the drive channel until I get a bag on the right side of the rack. 2 strokes are lighter and simpler machines as well, the only maintenance I do to mine is add fuel stabilizer to the gas to keep it fresh and the carb clean, and clean the air filter often. Much easier than oil changes and valve adjustments. The ability to hold WOT constantly if you wish is a definite plus. The friction mitts is extremely quiet too until you peak out the revs but its still never obnoxious.

Back