2 stroke or 4 stroke?

I'm saying that I think that the tub diameter is to fat. The Grubee kit comes with a mounting plate that is adjustable for length front to rear. The Adjustable ends have a U shaped opening in the center of them that goes around the seat tube at the rear and the downtube at the front. My best guess is that the largest tube dia. that this mount can handle is probably 35mm/1&3/8in. dia. The down tube on the bike you linked to is quite a bit fatter/larger than 35mm, I believe. If you are able to go to your local walmart and measure, it might save you some headaches later. You may also want to take along a piece of cardboard that measures 10in.X10in. to confirm that there is enough room in the front triangle for the motor as well.

ocscully

Thanks ocscully. I understand now. Guess I will just have to try and find another bicycle. One that will work with the kit. I appreciate your help in the matter. You have saved me from a lot of grief. I would have really been bummed if I would have bought the bike and got it home and found out that it would not have worked. I thank you for that. I will take a piece of cardboard with me when I go look too. I know I need to get this right. Thanks for all your help!

-cd-

I can't guarantee, but to me it looks like these would work.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5585804

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9207779
(you would want to add another brake of some kind)

Hi HoughMade,
Thanks for doing some looking for me. I appreciate it. I like the first one a lot. Looks cool :). I'm still going to look around some and maybe I will have some more questions about some bikes. But for now I really appreciate your help in finding ones that will work. I think it might be time to take a trip and see if they have them in stock.

-cd-

4 stroke motors rev higher - are smoother - more quiet (relatively) and are seem to have less emissions (maybe that is an impression) ... over all, it's higher up the chain in terms of the evolution of the combustion motor. More advanced in almost every way and durable too when it's maintained and not abused.

But - there are way fewer choices for a "frame mounted" 4 stroke vs a two stroke (I prefer frame mounted for the lower center of gravity) and I will NOT pull a string to start my motor - period. When they have a frame mounted 4 stroke that can be pedal started - I will buy one ...

4 stroke motors rev higher - are smoother - more quiet (relatively) and are seem to have less emissions (maybe that is an impression) ... over all, it's higher up the chain in terms of the evolution of the combustion motor. More advanced in almost every way and durable too when it's maintained and not abused.

But - there are way fewer choices for a "frame mounted" 4 stroke vs a two stroke (I prefer frame mounted for the lower center of gravity) and I will NOT pull a string to start my motor - period. When they have a frame mounted 4 stroke that can be pedal started - I will buy one ...

Hi Meer123,
Thank you for the information. So far I'm liking what people say about the 4 strokes. It really seems like I going to lean in that direction. I think you are right about the less emissions issue. I think that 2 strokes might smoke a little more. I base that purely on the difference between running my weed eater and the lawn mower :). I could be off base, but it just seems that way to me.

I like the frame mount too. As for the pull start, I don't know of a 4 stroke that you can "pop the clutch"... do you? I don't like the idea of having to pull to start it either. May not be another way around it though.

Just a quick note now for everyone. Thanks for all the help. I wanted to let everyone know how much I appreciate your help. For someone like me, who doesn't know a lot.. your help has been very valuable!

thanks and have a great one everybody!

4 stroke motors rev higher...
It's the other way around. 4-strokes have the torque for hefty people and/or hills, while 2-strokes have the top-end speed.

Rack mounted is best anyway. :p

Seriously, tho. I hear too many stories about peoples problematic Happy Times... pedaling their arses off to get the thing to crank. If there's a problem with the engine, I don't want to be pedaling around to figure it out. I'd rather be on solid ground when trying to mess with a problematic engine. And my 2-stroke pretty much always takes one pull when already warm. I think most people with Happy Times overlook this part. It's not like you'll always have to pull 3 or 4 times. That's only when it's cold, and sometimes when it's cold... you have to fool with the choke a couple times. I'd rather be on solid ground 'til the thing cranks, THEN start pedaling while the engine warms up for a minute or two.

I have a rear stand and I always start the engine on the stand (one pull, usually), let it run for about 30 seconds, flip off the choke, and off I go.

no offence intended to our rope pulling enthusiast base - just a preference - and I also agree that attempting to pedal around while diagnosing a problem with your two stroke isnt much fun ... but when all is good (and sometimes, it is all good even in the two stroke world), I like to just get on and bike away and the motor responds as if on cue and you get to kill it when you need some "quiet" then just pop the clutch and it's back on without missing a beat ... as with everything - I am sure lots of folks have their rituals perfected and they like'em the way they like'em ... I also prefer to eat fries with mayo and I suspect this preference will not be shared with all ? hahaha

cheers

You know,now that my Titan's broken in,I actually prefer the rope start over the Happy Time clutch start. Why?
Because my Happy Time is still manly and I still love that bike but sometimes when I clutch start it locks up... sometimes. Other times it's smooth like butter.
But with the rope start,reach around,pull,forget about it.
No more embarrassing chain locked up to sprocket gear when initially starting moments. You start the engine before even taking off. I grab the rope with my left hand,give just a little throttle on my right hand to insure a clean one pull start and your running.
And when I want to ride without the engine like when approaching a hill,I choke it down then slow a little so my centrifugal clutch disengages and engine shuts off and it's free rolling. That gearbox is tiny and has very little if any drag.(of course all gear boxes will give you SOME sort of drag) I mean all I hear is the faint sound of the chain spinning. Drag is pretty close to being unnoticeable. Frankly,I don't feel any drag. When I want to run my engine again,I'll give it half throttle when I'm going over like 8 MPH so when I pull the rope the engine catches up to the spinning clutch bucket if you will. Or I'll slow to less than 5 mph then pull the rope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back