2 stroke questions

That's what I'm going to do. Especially since this is my 1st 2 stroke engine.

That's really all I'm after, a good running stock configuration engine. If I had the money I would attempt to build myself a billet case minarelli hybrid. Or just a buy a complete minarelli hybrid from a know engine builder. Lol it sucks being a gearhead, can't leave well enough alone.
Ive gone past i want a good running one that last. I got good at that. Lol. Now im after real power. Not for all my builds, but for one special build. I bought the case halves this morning for my next years hybrid build. Experimenting with the steel sleeve to get my process down. When the race season is over, I'll get my balanced crank and top end from smolik performance. Your going to spend a lot of money on this hobby. Don't lie to yourself. K. Lol. This is way better than spending 10k on a truck engine and watching it go up in smoke. Few hundred bucks trashed is a lesson, few grand is a wallet smashing event. 😆

Yeah these little engines is reason I'm playing around with them is price. Yeah it's not like a built Caterpillar C16 engine, you want 800 reliable horsepower it's pretty easy to do, but they cost ya 30000 dollars, last Cat engine I built put 1100 horsepower to rear wheels it had the best of everything, but cost close to $50000.

Yeah these little engines is reason I'm playing around with them is price. Yeah it's not like a built Caterpillar C16 engine, you want 800 reliable horsepower it's pretty easy to do, but they cost ya 30000 dollars, last Cat engine I built put 1100 horsepower to rear wheels it had the best of everything, but cost close to $50000.
12k into a gas engine, that was my biggest spending on an engine. 600hp police interceptor. Loved that car. I couldn't see dropping 50k. Id cry and throw a tantrum if it blew. 😆

Yeah I blew a new overhaul up once on the wheel dyno when I worked at Caterpillar, luckily cat covered to overhaul it again because they had a bad run of piston/liner kits & knew it.

I can only imagine the feeling of destroying something worth so much. Lol. My biggest was my thread dies were worn, company who bought them destroyed a $10,000 counter weight. I got chewed out. I yelled back, they finally got me new dies. Lol. That was 15 years ago. Now i refuse to even cut them regardless, unless the dies are good. Never again will i go by the ok of manager. I make my own decision on if they are going to be made. I refuse to make junk ever again. I'd rather be fired than make junk and look bad.

Can someone point me to a video/info on how to install & use a degree wheel on these 66/80cc 2 strokes, I worked again on that CDH cylinder head a lil more to correct the squish band. Heres latest pic.

Attachments

• 20210925_115622.jpg
    20210925_115622.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 62
Can someone point me to a video/info on how to install & use a degree wheel on these 66/80cc 2 strokes, I worked again on that CDH cylinder head a lil more to correct the squish band. Heres latest pic.
Did you try a loose piston in there to confirm the contour?

You need one stationary pointer affixed to the side of the motor, mag side. The pointer can be a piece of wire screwed into one of the holes and bent in front of your degree wheel. Wherever the pointer comes out at, make that zero and start from there with the piston at TDC.

It helps if you don't have any rings installed on the piston yet, but expect a little play in the piston.

No I didn't try & loose the piston in there, wanted it to match my 49mm bore thou. Plus I wanted it as close to .75mm squish as possible, which I achieved .73mm using a particular thickness of head gasket. Contour of piston crown matches squish band. Did I mess up? I haven't cc'ed cylinder head yet either.

Back