2006 whizzer pacemaker 2 questions

Bike0_2

Local time
3:06 AM
Hello every one. I joined this forum hopefully to get some answers. I been wanting something to ride around for fun on weekends for few miles and I came across this bike it looks great. As far as background I never worked on any bikes or cars and read many posts on how people usually work to upgrade to make their bikes engine proof. I guess my question is it worth it for me to shell out the money if I can’t do much to the bike if it were to ever break down? The bike has around 550 miles and would be $1400 for it.

Post a couple pictures of the bike you are interested in buying, there are a few knowledgeable guys here that will give you the low down on the bike. Sounds like low mileage and reasonable price to me. Just say $1000 and see what happens.

Here are some pics of the bike thank you I’m advance. Also the price was at 2k brought it down to 1400.

Attachments

• 91D7AF2D-C11A-49E4-A0A3-617A3AEED718.jpeg
    91D7AF2D-C11A-49E4-A0A3-617A3AEED718.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 277
  • A72CA8DF-BD98-4BD5-8FDE-A794F07D72A1.jpeg
    A72CA8DF-BD98-4BD5-8FDE-A794F07D72A1.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 283
  • E9FAEB87-67E1-45E2-89F3-B0B832652928.jpeg
    E9FAEB87-67E1-45E2-89F3-B0B832652928.jpeg
    219.7 KB · Views: 237
It's a beaut! Not even a mark on it, there are a couple guys here that will help you get the most out of it and keep it running top notch.

Hello every one. I joined this forum hopefully to get some answers. I been wanting something to ride around for fun on weekends for few miles and I came across this bike it looks great. As far as background I never worked on any bikes or cars and read many posts on how people usually work to upgrade to make their bikes engine proof. I guess my question is it worth it for me to shell out the money if I can’t do much to the bike if it were to ever break down? The bike has around 550 miles and would be $1400 for it.
Not a 2006 Pacemaker it's a 2005 NE-5 and a very nice one too (y)
Someone really loved that Whizzer. I can tell it's had some work done to it already.
Cyl has been painted black and the flywheel has been lightened. I can tell because the belt guard has been cut to show off the flywheel,
Too bad it don't have the turn signals and a luggage rack. The Chrome fender tips were extra and the guy put a laid back seat post.

Since the Cyl has been painted and the Flywheel lightened. That means whoever owned it probably made some more upgrades.
My gut feeling tells me that this is a good Whizzer with all the bugs worked out (y) I wonder why it wasn't ridden more :unsure:

$1400 is Top Dollar for that Whizzer it sold new in 2005 for $1750 and Kelly Blue Book retail value today is about $1050
Ask what upgrades have been done. It might be worth it if it's had all the necessary upgrades.
I would give ya a list of upgrades to look for but I want to see what the seller tells ya first

Last edited:
It's a 2006 when I worked on it some years ago the lifters were bad. Still had all the restrictors in it. Open it up for the 22mm crab shaved the head. Advance the trigger plate,and a lot of other stuff internally.
Still looks pretty, buy it! Its worthmore.

I bought a couple 2005 Whizzers that came with some improvements and some I made. I have decades of experience in various types of "small" engines. That being said, these 2 bikes keep me busy with maintenance and improvements. You say, "I never worked on bikes or cars". If you have zero experience with engines, I would not recommend you buy it. We haven't even talked about having to constantly monitor cylinder head temperature while riding. These Taiwanese engine require acquiring knowledge about them, ( I have been eating and sleeping with them for the last year and a half) and having a background in engines or a close friend that REALLY knows what they're doing. The inexperienced should buy a reliable Japanese product. Good luck.

Skeezer

We haven't even talked about having to constantly monitor cylinder head temperature while riding.

Skeezer

Do you know something I don't? How are you constantly monitoring your cyl head temps while riding?

I know what temp these NE-5 s run.
The only accurate way to take the cyl head temperature, is while riding the bike in the wind @ 35mph
Trying to take the temp going any faster than 35 mph holding that temp gun, made me feel like I might crash :LOL:

My testing NE-5
After 10 miles on a 82*F day, going 35 MPH in the wind and holding the temp gun 1' away from the cyl head, pointing the laser at a flat spot on the cyl head by the spark plug The temps were 300*F to 325*F which is acceptable for a flat head 4 stroke.
Case temp was 150*F to 175*F
But while at Idle within 3 minutes the cly head temps spiked past 400*F. Good thing stoplights are not longer than 3 minutes.
I don't use fancy heat coatings in the combustion chamber either. (A rumor was started that Whizzers needed heat coatings) :LOL:
The Rumor claimed that the temp of a Whizzer was over 500*F and a combustion chamber heat coatings reduced the temp to 300*F :ROFLMAO:
If it makes ya feel better and have more confidence in your Whizzer than use heat coatings They can't hurt and just might do some good too. But I find them not necessary on the NE-5

I've got over 39K miles on my Whizzer. I won't hesitate to take my Whizzer on a 100 mile ride. She's always ready (y)
I even rode my Whizzer in over 100*F heat all summer on purpose just to see if I could melt her down. Nope, she was just fine
I must be doing something right :LOL:
DSCF3704.JPGDSCF3705.JPGDSCF3709.JPG

I run a NE-5 Cast Iron Westman Cyl and an Ambassador Head shaved 150"th
The Ambassador head is nicknamed "The Block Head" because of the short cooling fins
My bike's top speed is 50mph and I cruise at 35 to 45mph and I don't have a heat problem.
You would think I would have a heat problem with a cast Iron cyl and a cyl head with short cooling fins
DSCF9332.JPGDSCF9343.JPG

I do resurface the head every 1K miles and use a new copper head gasket if needed
I make my own head gaskets, last time I made some I made enough for a life time.

Sure the Whizzer needs the right mods and routine maintenance.
Anyone with mechanical aptitude can learn how to work on them.

The key to keeping your temps down is don't idle for long periods of time and stay In The Wind
You should be able to ride your NE-5 all day if ya want.
If ya really want to keep the temps down, ride the bike @ 25 - 30 mph, But that's no Fun :(

Don't even play with a WC-1 Upgrade the Cyl to a NE-5 (Today it's the Cruzzer Cyl kit)

Last edited:

This is how I constantly monitor cylinder head temperature. If you haven't, you really have no idea what your engine is doing. Sure, you may have a lot of miles but that doesn't mean you're not constantly exceeding 375 degrees on even a slight incline or hill.

Skeezer

Back