2008 ambassador slow acceleration

cherokee 24

Local time
11:16 AM
Never chatted in a forum before but here goes. I have a 2008 ambassador and am a little frustrated with the slow takeoff. I moved the engine all the way forward but it doesn't seem to make much difference. I tighten the rear belt constantly and it helps but then the belt seems to stretch I guess from the heat and I'm back to square one. help!

An 16 hp v-twin Briggs Vanguard and Comet CVT would help, but it would cost as much as another new Ambassador.

Hi cherokee 24,

Considering your bike has the CVT drive, the best solution is to add more power. With additional power the motor can take off quicker, and advance the front drive pulley to close quicker.

The Ambassador is considered a Motorcycle in almost every state [no pedals, over 2 HP, exceeds 30 MPH], therefore adding power won't change the legal status. The Ambassador was a move to uprade the motorbike to small motorcycle status and entered the segment short of HP. With the proper changes it is possible to almost double the power. My Ambassodor will exceed 45 MPH on the speedometer [5800 on the tachometer], and considering the tires are much larger, I doubt the speedometer is even close to correct. I suspect the speedometer is reading a lot slower than the bike is actually traveling.
I have been test riding a new NE-r for a customer after the cylinder was changed to the earlier 2005 NE-5 version and it easily bumps 40 MPH [5400 RPMs]. The NE-r uses the same large wheels and therfore the speedometer would read slow.

Chances are you will want to replace the cylinder & head in the near future anyway, but I wouldn't wait too long as the supply of earlier cylinders & heads are on the endangered spieces list.

The Ambassador is heavy and just needs more power to get around. The starter, battery, larger frame, disc brakes, etc adds to the weight.

Have fun,

Back