2008 Whizzer NER

Turtle Tedd

Local time
6:15 AM
I wrote a post like this about 3 months ago..got one PM....Still have a opportunity to buy a 2008 Whizzer Ner..with 16 actual miles on it for $1300...will not be using it for everyday transportation..have plenty of tools and a lifetime of mechanical knowledge..my question is mostly will this $1300 turn into $3000 before I take care of whats basically wrong with this machine...Would really appreciate any input from any of you guys that own one of these..PM me if you want...thanks..Turtle

Just go do it.

The modern Whizzers are very suitable for having a lot of fun and can usually get you back home. You can hear of all the various problems by reading the posts. Those of us who have riden 100's and 100's of miles and only had very minor adjustments to deal with do not write in or ask for advice.

My advice is to go for it and have some fun. I can't think of anything short of a total lemon that could cost more than a few hundred dollars if you have basic mechanical skills.

CArl

Plan on speeding at least $300 to $400 to make it reliable.

I have several new edition Whizzers [at least 6] and several have over 6000 miles each on them.

Totally plan on replacing the entire top end because the metal is soft and the threads WILL pull out of the cylinder. Sadly even heli-coils won't hold in the aluminum. The head will run way too hot [90 degrees hotter than earlier models]. Some of the NE-r models have a single valve seat block and the valves will lose their seal when the block shifts or loosens, requiring the cylinder to be replaced [it should be replaced PERIOD].

I have modified hundreds of these motors and I agree they are worth the effort, but some versions have more problems than others.

I am currently working with the new heads to make them run at an acceptable tempature by cutting the fins deeper [using and end mill], and I do think it is possible to make them work correctly.

Very seldon [almost never] are a few minor adjustments going to make you happy, but the problems are fixable in the majority of cases.

The main advantage of the NE-r and Ambassador II are the disc brakes, but understand the wheels, forks, and brakes are very heavy compaired to earlier models, therefore they aren't as fast. The larger tires make it ride better, but extra caution is needed to ALWAYS make sure the air pressure is correct because the side walls are very, very, very soft and can be destroyed easily [I have replaced 2 tires on my Ambassador in under 1500 miles].

You now have the facts, so buy it, modify it, and enjoy. The Whizzer motorbike is different from all others and can be a lot of fun as long as you are willing to fix a few things early on in the process.

These comments are centered around the NE-r because you ask about that model, and earlier NE5 models don't have the same problems as the Ambassador and NE-r. The best model with the least amount of problems is the 2005 and 2006 NE5 models, and often installing a copper head gasket, a set of mushroom lifters, and installing a hardened bearing sleeve on the automatic clutch will cure 99% of the problems on the earlier versions.

Have fun,

Last edited:
And Sir, where would i find one of these Whizzers as described in your last paragraph so I could leave my tools in the tool box, and save my back for a nice ride in the country?

Barn find 2008 Whizzer NE-R, 6/10th of a Mike on it. In Chester, Va. Any interest in buying it?

Barn find 2008 Whizzer NE-R, 6/10th of a Mike on it. In Chester, Va. Any interest in buying it?

Show some pics might get some interest. Are ya accepting offers?
You'll probably have better luck selling in the for sale section.

My father in-law is a retired flight engineer. He was in the USAF Guard for over 42-years. Very Type A! He bought a NE-R new in 2009. Did the assembly and put it under a tarp. It's never had a drop of gas in it. And, if he assembled it, it was done right! He wants to sell as he is now in his 80's. He paid over $3,500. Any recommendations for selling this?

My father in-law is a retired flight engineer. He was in the USAF Guard for over 42-years. Very Type A! He bought a NE-R new in 2009. Did the assembly and put it under a tarp. It's never had a drop of gas in it. And, if he assembled it, it was done right! He wants to sell as he is now in his 80's. He paid over $3,500. Any recommendations for selling this?
Pictures help

In 2009 the NER sold for $1,750

Paying over $3,500 your father-in-law way overpaid. You'll never get that amount today
Unless you find a buyer just like your father-in -law :LOL:

In mint condition a 2009 NER will sell for $1,750 or maybe $2K today

Post a pic in the For Sale section, maybe someone wants to buy it

Back