200W Rear Rack Gas Generator Build Thread/Test

bakaneko

Local time
5:35 PM
Hi, I been thinking about the best way to approach this because I do want to check out the viability of a portable generator on an electric bike. My main concern is that if it does not work then I need to make use of the engine as a secondary drive system. I thought I had a good deal on a HS-142F engine but guess not. With the HS-142F if it doesn't work, I can always just buy a staton-inc friction drive and utilize it that way. But for the test I will go with a refurb 26cc motor and a 200W brushless motor/generator. Here is the parts list. I will buy them this weekend.

- Reconditioned 2-cycle 26cc Homelite gas trimmer (generic engine, $50)
- 24V 200W electric scooter motor ($30)
- 400W DC-DC step up converter (can handle the max amps of electric motor, $11)
- Base will be of quality wood and weather treated (cant do metal no shop, $3-5)

So, this will be a documentation of the build, testing, and real life trials (hopefully). I know this is less efficient than using the gas engine to drive the wheel but I don't like the concept of two drive trains adding complexity and problems. I also want to mimic the current locomotive and cruise ship approach where diesel generators power electric motors. The reasoning is that at low speeds an electric motor near instant torque is much more efficient than the dyno curve of fossil fuel motors.

Since this is such low power, it will work with my 500W 36V ebike and not the 3000W 72V ebike. It is a good learning and exploration for a bit over $100 and if it works will be fine paired with the 500W ebike. It will hopefully look somewhat like this.

Okay, I need to stop posting before I actually buy stuff for a build. BUT, I decided to hold off on the generator and ebike until Black Friday and Cyber Monday. I noticed we are pretty close (~3 weeks) and there might be good deals then that can dramatically change the direction of the build order. I was planning on picking up the 3000W mid drive and new bike at that time too if there was a decent deal. Yeah, that being said, if you are thinking about a build at this time might want to just hold off (kinda sucks cuz 3 weeks is a long time but not long enough to pull the trigger).

Back