2011 Cape Henlopen (Lewes, Delaware) Rally Sept. 17/18

The long range weather forecast looks great! Bright sunshine, no rain, hi temps in the low 70's.
Perfect!

Jim

Here are some of the things we have planned. Jay offered to lead a "fast ride" down to a local shore town (probably Rehoboth or Dewey Beach). There will be a "slow ride" around the town of Lewes. Well, "slow ride" if you don't count the 35mph stretch between the park and Lewes.
We plan to have a ride out to the Irish Eyes Pub and Restaurant in Lewes for lunch, or possibly a picnic lunch at the park. In fact we could possibly do both, depending on the interest.
If there is enough interest I could arrange for a tour of the Fort Miles Historic Site and Battery 519. Battery 519 is a WWII Coastal Artillery bunker buried under the dunes and has been going through a massive restoration to original WWII configuration. The progress on this restoration has been nothing short of remarkable within the past year.
Maybe we could also get a shot of a bunch of our bikes lined up as if to go on the Cape May - Lewes Ferry. I've been thinking of getting that shot since the first of these rallies.

I always thought 35 MPH was the fast ride. Guess that is what comes from never having a whizzer!

Where is the inital meetup location? Cd could you PM me your cell#

All,
Wishing you all great luck, no flats and no breakdowns on your rally. Always wanted to attend this rally with my NER......no M/C license will do that to ya! With luck I hope to join you all next year at Lewes.....Spent 4 years at Coast Guard Station Indian River with summer SAR season stints at our sub-station at Roosevelt Inlet in Lewes, 1984 to 1988.....one of the most enjoyable duty stations I was ever at in one of the nicest beach locations on the east coast. I envy you guys!!!!
Take Care,
Mike

We're just a few days away now, and I thought I'd post some more information. First, the park gates open at 8am. There is an admission fee to the park, as we are not yet into the off-season.
The rally will be held at the basketball courts. I'm attaching a map to help you find it. I've crudely marked the route in red, with directional arrows alongside. The past two years I posted signs, but some disappeared and others were just not seen. So this year, in lieu of signs I'm posting the directions. Once you enter the park and pay admission, you will turn left shortly thereafter. You will then come to a T-intersection (Dune Road), where you will make a left. Follow this road and it will bear right (and become Post Road). Continue to follow Post Road past the Nature Center (on the left) and the Parade Ground (on the right). At the end of the Parade Ground you will turn left onto Queens Road, then make a quick left into the basketball court area. The road makes a loop around the courts, and we will be setting up there. In addition to the map I'm attaching, here is a link to a another map that you can blow up online. Though it doesn't show road names inside the park, it does show where the basketball courts are (located between the two youth camps). http://mappery.com/map-of/Cape-Henlopen-State-Park-Map

Attachments

• bikemap2.JPG
    bikemap2.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 235
  • rally2.jpg
    rally2.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 214
I'm leaving now!! I got 4 bikes loaded in the trailer!!! Looks like the weather will be nice too!! This year for the Saturday night party I'm bringing 5 year old apple wine. Bonnie says it tastes like moonshine I haven't tried it for a long time. I tested it last night :)

The rally was great even though it rained. We got some good riding in. it's always nice to see fellow biker friends. The lunch at the Irish pub is always a good time. Come on you guys, post some pictures.

Yeah, as Jay said we had a great time despite the weather. I have some pics to post right now, but I need to upload others from my cell phone and I'm not having an easy time of it right now. When it started raining I put the camera away and used my cell phone for taking pics.
As Jay said we did at least get the lunch ride out to the Irish Eyes Pub and Restaurant on Saturday accomplished even though it was raining at the time.
Here are some of the photos:

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 241
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 250
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 239
  • Picture 006.jpg