2017 California Vehicle Code CVC "Motorized Bicycle"

DuctTapedGoat

Local time
6:30 AM
IF ANYTHING IS MISSING THE EXCERPTS ARE FROM THE ABRIDGED VERSION. I WILL UPDATE THIS WHEN I RECEIVE THE UNABRIDGED VERSION.

2017 CVC

DIVISION 1. WORDS AND PHRASES DEFINED

CVC 406. Motorized Bicycle
(A) A “motorized bicycle” or “moped” is a two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, and an automatic transmission and a motor that produces less than 4 gross brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground.
(B) Every manufacturer of a motorized bicycle or moped, as defined in this section, shall provide a disclosure to buyers that advises buyers that their existing insurance policies may not provide coverage for these bicycles and that they should contact their insurance company or insurance agent to determine if coverage is provided. The disclosure shall meet both of the following requirements:
(1) The disclosure shall be printed in not less than 14-point boldface type on a single sheet of paper that contains no information other than the disclosure.
(2) The disclosure shall include the following language in capital "YOUR INSURANCE POLICIES MAY NOT PROVIDE COVERAGE FOR ACCIDENTS INVOLVING THE USE OF THIS BICYCLE. DETERMINE IF COVERAGE IS PROVIDED YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY OR AGENT.” (AM ’15)

DIVISION 3. REGISTRATION OF VEHICLES AND CERTIFICATES OF TITLE
CHAPTER 1. ORIGINAL AND RENEWAL REGISTRATION; ISSUANCE OF CERTIFICATES OF TITLE
ARTICLE 1. THE VEHICLES SUBJECT TO REGISTRATION

CVC 4020
Motorized Bicycles; Exempt From Registration
A motorized bicycle operated upon a highway is exempt from registration. (AD '75)

ARTICLE 8.1. MOTORIZED BICYCLES

CVC 5030
Special License Plate
A motorized bicycle, as defined in Section 406, is required to display a special license plate issued by the department. (AD '80)

CVC 5037
License Plate Required
(A) No motorized bicycle first sold on or after July 1, 1981, shall be moved or operated upon a highway unless the owner first makes application for a license plate and, when received, attaches it to the motorized bicycle as provided in this article.
(B) Motorized bicycles first sold prior to July 1, 1981, shall not be moved or operated upon a highway after January 1 1982, unless the owner makes application for a license plate and, when received, attaches it to the motorized bicycle as provided in this article.
(C) Any motorized bicycle currently licensed pursuant to Division 16.7 (commencing with Section 39000) on July 1, 1981, may be operated upon a highway until July 1,1982.

DIVISION 6. DRIVERS’ LICENSES
CHAPTER 1. ISSUANCE OF LICENSES, EXPIRATION, AND RENEWAL
ARTICLE 1. PERSONS REQUIRED TO BE LICENSED, EXEMPTIONS, AND AGE LIMITS

CVC 12500

12500. Unlawful to Drive Unless Licensed
(A) A person may not drive a motor vehicle upon a highway, unless the person then holds a valid driver’s license issued under this code, except those persons who are expressly exempted under this code.
(B) A person may not drive a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or motorized bicycle upon a highway, unless the person then holds a valid driver’s license or endorsement issued under this code for that class, except those persons who are expressly exempted under this code, or those persons specifically authorized to operate motorized bicycles or motorized scooters with a valid driver’s license of any class, as specified in subdivision (h) of Section 12804.9.

CVC 12509
(D) INSTRUCTION PERMIT; Accompanying Person's Duties: Permit holder may operate a motor vehicle (except motorcycle, motorized scooter/bicycle) when accompanied by an age 18 yr. or older CA licensed driver not on probation and with a valid proper class DL, except as provided in Sec 12814.6, occupying a position in the driver's compartment at all times to be able to help in controlling the vehicle [See 12500(A) for Unlicensed Driver]
(E) PERMIT HOLDER RESTRICTIONS: May only operate a gov't-owned motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, motorized scooter, or motorized bicycle and have permit in immediate possession, when taking driver training instruction administered by the CA Nat'l Guard. [See 12814.6 for Provisional DL Restrictions]

(C) MOTORCYCLE INSTRUCTION PERMIT; Restrictions: Permit holder not to operate a 2-wheel motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, motorized scooter, motorized bicycle, moped or bicycle with attached motor during hours of darkness, shall stay off fwys that have full control of access and no crossings at grade, and shall not carry a passenger except a licensed instructor as in Ed. Code 41907.

(A) PROVISIONAL DRIVER'S LICENSE PROGRAM; Restrictions for Minors:
(1) PERMIT HOLDER; Restrictions: May drive with a valid permit (except motorcycle or motorized bicycle) only during driver's training or practice when accompanied by a 25 yr. old or older CA licensed driver not on probation. Licensed driver age requirement not applicable if the person's parent, spouse, guardian, or an authorized driving instructor. [See 12509(E) for Motorcycle Restrictions]

(B) BICYCLE or MOTORIZED BIKE; Blue Warning Light: Unlawful to display steady or flashing blue warning light, except for certain on-duty peace officers. [See Code Sec. 21201.3(A) for Exempt Peace Officers]

23330 VEHICLE CROSSING: Unauthorized Use By:
(A) ANIMALS
(B) BICYCLE or Motorized Bicycle

(A) MOTORIZED BICYCLE; Required Equipment: Headlamp, taillamp, stoplamp, side and rear reflectors, and adequate brakes.
(B) MOTORIZED BICYCLE; Required Equipment: Mirror, muffler, and horn.

(B) SAFETY HELMET; Sell or Offer For Sale for use by driver or passenger of a motorcycle or motorized bicycle, helmet not meeting requirements established by the CHP, which shall include, but are not limited to, requirements imposed by Fed. Motor Vehicle Safety Standard #218 (49 C.F.R. 571.218). Each helmet to be conspicuously labeled per the fed. standard which shall constitute the manufacturer's certification that the helmet conforms to the applicable standards [See Code]

(A) Safety Helmet Required To Be Worn By Driver and Passenger, when riding on a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle or motorized bicycle. Helmet to meet requirements established in 27802,
(B) SAFETY HELMET; Drive Motorcycle, motor-driven cycle or motorized bicycle, if driver or passenger not wearing safety helmet required by (A).
(C) SAFETY HELMET; Ride As Passenger On Motorcycle, motor-driven cycle or motorized bicycle, if driver or passenger not wearing safety helmet required by (A).
(D)This Section Applies To persons riding such cycles on a highway.

415. Motor Vehicle
(a) A “motor vehicle” is a vehicle that is self-propelled. (b) “Motor vehicle” does not include a self-propelled wheelchair, motorized tricycle, or motorized quadricycle, if operated by a person who, by reason of physical disability, is otherwise unable to move about as a pedestrian.

407. Motorized Quadricycle and Motorized Tricycle
A "motorized quadricycle" is a four-wheeled device, and a "motorized tricycle" is a three-wheeled device, designed to carry not more than two persons, including the driver, and having either an electric motor or a motor with an automatic transmission developing less than two gross brake horsepower and capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground. The device shall be utilized only by a person who by reason of physical disability is otherwise unable to move about as a pedestrian or by a senior citizen as defined in Section 13000. (AD '80; AM'93)

Last edited:
So i live in southern california and have a motorized bicycle...it goes less than 30mph.
Do i have to have a motorcycle license to ride it to and from work..yes or no?

So i live in southern california and have a motorized bicycle...it goes less than 30mph.
Do i have to have a motorcycle license to ride it to and from work..yes or no?

The most straightforward answer I have is just the way it is.
M2 endorsement and a plate, however many municipalities don't enforce it.

It's up to your municipality and county how they enforce it.

Yes or No?

Again as I said before, it depends on where you live.
I don't know the police personally where you live, and I don't even know where you live - so how the hell can I answer your question? If you want a more specific answer you're gonna have to provide information and speak in complete sentences just like anybody else out here. What county are you in, what city are you in, I don't know so how the f*** can I answer your broad rude as f*** question?

Talk short to your mother, I won't put up with it.

Last edited:
Just like anywhere, ride and do what the cops say if they stop you and ask questions.

If the cops pull you over and say you gotta operate a certain way then do it.

If the cops pull you over and tell you not to worry about it then don't worry.

If you want to be protected from even dealing with the cops, then participate with as many laws as you can.

I could sit here and tell everybody "You need turn signals on a motorized bicycle in California." because according to the law, YOU NEED TURN SIGNALS TOO. Everything from the FMVSS applies to Motorized Bicycles, lights, brakes, horn, signals, everything.

However police tend to enforce OPERATIONS laws specifically where I live. That means NO blowing stop signs, that means NO speeding, that means NO driving on the sidewalk, that means NO driving against the flow of traffic, that means NO headphones on both ears. These are all laws that BICYCLISTS are often pulled over for, and they are the same laws that people come on here and talk about being pulled over and what their actual crime was when they were questioned about plate or license.

Regardless what the law reads and dictates, all that matters is how is it enforced and where that is ever different.

I have not seen FMVSS enforced, nor PLATE enforced, nor LICENSE enforced, however there was that guy in Newport Beach who was riding on the sidewalk without a license and he got a ticket, so consider that. I don't risk my own safety or anybody else's safety, disregard for that is going to be any real cause for police to arrive. Exceptions being locations that have MUNICIPAL laws (CITY laws) enforcing Bicycle registration, which again is a BICYCLE LAW and Municipal Law.

There isn't a cut and dry YES or NO about it, it's situational and location based, Cali has a lot of situations and locations.

I'll tell you I'm more focused on getting turn signals than a license plate because it increases the safety of myself and those around me, even if it wasn't a law.

Follow all the bicycle laws for your municipality first, and try to adhere to the state laws sooner than later.

Municipal Laws, These are city laws like skateboarding - NOT DMV laws, which go against your driving record and traffic school :>(
If anyone drives like a jerk you will be busted... follow the rules and no problems.

Back