2017 California Vehicle Code CVC "Motorized Bicycle"

Good job goat and Frankie, and for DavidM951 (2 wheels) YES, you need M-2 and plate to be legal.
And follow FVMSS Federal Vehicle Motor Safety Standards such as Brake Lights and Turn Signals and etc.

It's not so cut and dry as "A plate and M2 is all you need to be legal".

Municipal Laws, These are city laws like skateboarding - NOT DMV laws, which go against your driving record and traffic school :>(
If anyone drives like a jerk you will be busted... follow the rules and no problems.
There it is. A big ol can of worms. Says so right on the label. Ya don't really wana open it, but you just gota know.

It's the truth, people are skating by on half truths, lack of truths and even outright lies.

These are the facts -

Do I have the right to say I don't want to register my bicycle? CVC 4020 State Code as I read it intends that you have the right to NOT register.
That law doesn't go away once you DO register, and every municipality I've been pulled over in AGREES to that extent.
That's experience which carries weight.
My MUNICIPALITY requires Bicycles Carry Registration, which I do carry.

Let's talk about situations that carry weight. Given that LOS ANGELES has a STATE OF EMERGENCY regarding HOMELESSNESS, and I personally built a motorized bicycle in an emergency situation to remedy my own homelessness and I did solve that homelessness for myself, that is another big point I am not ashamed to bring up - to the point that I would cater in the name of more liberal motorized bicycling laws for what it is worth to expedite the housing of THOUSANDS of affected individuals, which deserves certainly less strict legislation without inhibiting rights TO registration, which there IS in California.

Also consider if I install a BICYCLE TRAILER it is now considered a QUADRICYCLE which I live and sleep on when HOMELESS, and I am DISABLED, and have an Out of State driving record, where the 50cc laws grandfather follow the rider for however period of time.

If you want a legal case, you need to present a case, not just a broad generic scenario - what needs are being met, who is the victim, what is the NATURE of the crime, is there an immediate solution, what ELSE should be addressed?

What do you need to just be ANY citizen and get into this sport?
Bicycle, EngineKit, Registration, M2, License, Insurance, Lights, Brake Lights, Plate, Light for the Plate, Turn Signals (Front and Rear), Brakes that stop from X speed in X distance, Tuned to 30MPH maximum operating speed, Mirrors (Both of them), Helmet.

Or just exercise CVC4020 and get a bicycle and an engine kit. But if your municipality requires registration you MUST get bicycle registration, lights, etc.

Would you like me to bring up MORE things that are never brought up?
I think that all of those things should accessible in an Affordable Kit.

Last edited:
I like the City of Huntington Beach Alt Vehicle brochure, it's the only place I have ever found that specifically says in writing that insurance is not required for our motorized bicycles (mopeds). I actually carry a copy with me to use to bolster my "device" argument for insurance requirements when asked for proof by an officer. So far I've always been let off with a warning.
http://www.huntingtonbeachca.gov/government/departments/pd/traffic/alternative_vehicle.cfm

Also did the Cali vehicle code change on turn signals? Motor Driven Cycles/Motorized Bicycles were still exempt last I checked.

CVC 24591(4)

http://planetminis.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=172768&d=1457064744

I like the City of Huntington Beach Alt Vehicle brochure, it's the only place I have ever found that specifically says in writing that insurance is not required for our motorized bicycles (mopeds). I actually carry a copy with me to use to bolster my "device" argument for insurance requirements when asked for proof by an officer. So far I've always been let off with a warning.
http://www.huntingtonbeachca.gov/government/departments/pd/traffic/alternative_vehicle.cfm

Also did the Cali vehicle code change on turn signals? Motor Driven Cycles/Motorized Bicycles were still exempt last I checked.

CVC 24591(4)

http://planetminis.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=172768&d=1457064744
Motorized Bicycle: Compliance with Federal Standards (24015, 24016 VC). Motorized bicycles shall comply with those FMVSS, established under federal law which are applicable to a motor-driven cycle, as that term is defined in such federal standards. Motorized bicycles as defined in Section 406(b) VC shall meet the requirements contained in Title 16 of the Code of Federal Regulations, established by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

This was current 2 years ago
http://www.ci.oakley.ca.us/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Pocket-Bikes.pdf

Last edited:
I looked it up and it's still current. Motorized Bicycles fall under the Motor Driven Cycles lighting and safety requirements.
Below is the current California Vehicle Code that exempts our MBs from the turn signal requirements. Same as the CHP 888 guide I linked to earlier. Note the CAlifornia Highway Patrol makes the same reference to FMVSS as the City of Oakley however if you read starting on page 3 "Turn Signals (24951, 24952, 24953 VC)" ending on page 4, the CHP clearly says "Turn signals are not required on motorized bicycles". http://planetminis.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=172768&d=1457064744

Here is the Vehicle Code that exempts motorized bicycles from turn signal requirements.

CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE
DIVISION 12. EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES
CHAPTER 2. Lighting Equipment

ARTICLE 5. Signal Lamps and Devices

24591 (a) Any vehicle may be equipped with a lamp-type turn signal system capable of clearly indicating any intention to turn either to the right or to the left.
(b) The following vehicles shall be equipped with a lamp-type turn signal system meeting the requirements of this chapter.
(1) Motortrucks, truck tractors, buses and passenger vehicles, other than motorcycles, manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1958.
(2) Trailers and semitrailers manufactured and first registered between December 31, 1957, and January 1, 1969, having a gross weight of 6,000 pounds or more.
(3) Trailers and semitrailers 80 or more inches in width manufactured on or after January 1, 1969.
(4) Motorcycles manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1973, except motor-driven cycles whose speed attainable in one mile is 30 miles per hour or less.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ivision=12.&title=&part=&chapter=2.&article=5.

Also our Motorized Bicycles are not required to be registered. They are however required to have a license plate and ID card.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=4020.

Last edited:
I looked it up and it's still current. Motorized Bicycles fall under the Motor Driven Cycles lighting and safety requirements.
Below is the current California Vehicle Code that exempts our MBs from the turn signal requirements. Same as the CHP 888 guide I linked to earlier. Note the CAlifornia Highway Patrol makes the same reference to FMVSS as the City of Oakley however if you read starting on page 3 "Turn Signals (24951, 24952, 24953 VC)" ending on page 4, the CHP clearly says "Turn signals are not required on motorized bicycles". http://planetminis.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=172768&d=1457064744

Here is the Vehicle Code that exempts motorized bicycles from turn signal requirements.

CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE

24591 (a) Any vehicle may be equipped with a lamp-type turn signal system capable of clearly indicating any intention to turn either to the right or to the left.
(b) The following vehicles shall be equipped with a lamp-type turn signal system meeting the requirements of this chapter.
(1) Motortrucks, truck tractors, buses and passenger vehicles, other than motorcycles, manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1958.
(2) Trailers and semitrailers manufactured and first registered between December 31, 1957, and January 1, 1969, having a gross weight of 6,000 pounds or more.
(3) Trailers and semitrailers 80 or more inches in width manufactured on or after January 1, 1969.
(4) Motorcycles manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1973, except motor-driven cycles whose speed attainable in one mile is 30 miles per hour or less.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ivision=12.&title=&part=&chapter=2.&article=5.

Also our Motorized Bicycles are not required to be registered. They are however required to have a license plate and ID card.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=4020.

This is 2017.
12. - Equipment Of Vehicles [24000. - 28150.]

Ch. 1. - General Provisions

§ 24015. (a) Motorized Bicycles Shall Comply With Those Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards Established Un

(a) Motorized bicycles shall comply with those federal motor vehicle safety standards established under the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966 (15 U.S.C., Sec. 1381, et seq.) which are applicable to a motor-driven cycle, as that term is defined in such federal standards. Such standards include, but are not limited to, provisions requiring a headlamp, taillamp, stoplamp, side and rear reflex reflectors, and adequate brakes.

b) In addition to equipment required in subdivision (a), all motorized bicycles operated upon a highway shall be equipped with a mirror as required insubdivision (a) of Section 26709, a horn as required in Section 27000, and an adequate muffler as required in subdivision (a) of Section 27150.

(c) Except as provided in subdivisions (a) and (b), none of the provisions of this chapter relating to motorcycles and motor-driven cycles, as defined in this code, shall apply to a motorized bicycle.

Thanks for confirming turn signals are not required - The 2017 California Vehicle Code book shows our State is right in line with Federal Code. 30 mph or less need not be equipped with turn signal lamps.

CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE

CVC 24591(b)
The following vehicles shall be equipped with a lamp-type turn signal system meeting the requirements of this chapter.

Rules Regarding Motorcycles and Motor Driven Cycles
(FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD 108)

Motorcycle means a motor vehicle with motive power having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground.

Motor-driven cycle means a motorcycle with a motor that produces 5-brake horsepower or less.

49 CFR 571.108
A motorcycle turn signal lamp need meet only one-half of the minimum photometric values specified in Table 1 and Table 3 of SAE J588 NOV84 Turn Signal Lamps.

A motor-driven cycle whose speed attainable in 1 mile is 30 mph or less need not be equipped with turn signal lamps. (not true for Canada) http://calcoast-itl.com/assets/Motorcycles & Motor Driven Cycles - Lighting.pdf

2017 GPO doc
Table I-c—Required Lamps and Reflective Devices
Turn Signal Lamps: None required on a motor driven cycle whose speed attainable in 1 mile is 30 mph or less

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?node=se49.6.571_1108

Again as I said before, it depends on where you live.
I don't know the police personally where you live, and I don't even know where you live, so how the hell can I answer your question? If you want a more specific answer you're gonna have to provide information and speak in complete sentences just like anybody else out here. What county are you in, what city are you in, I don't know so how the f**k can I answer your broad rude as f**k question?

Talk short to your mother, I won't put up with it.

I said I live in Southern California, bike goes less than 30 mph and my question was "YES OR NO" i dont know how much more straight foward of a question i can ask. LoL

You said quote
"I don't know the police personally where you live, and I don't even know where you live"
I said I live in southern california you fool.

You dont need to personally know the police where anyone lives in order to ask a simple question about the law. My question of "YES or NO" was intentionally broad no to confuse a simple minded idiot like you.

Dont you just hate when you ask a "yes or no" question and you dont get a f***ing yes or no?

Just f***ing kill yourself please

I said I live in Southern California, bike goes less than 30 mph and my question was "YES OR NO" i dont know how much more straight foward of a question i can ask. LoL

You said quote
"I don't know the police personally where you live, and I don't even know where you live"
I said I live in southern california you fool.

You dont need to personally know the police where anyone lives in order to ask a simple question about the law. My question of "YES or NO" was intentionally broad no to confuse a simple minded idiot like you.

Dont you just hate when you ask a "yes or no" question and you dont get a f***ing yes or no?

Just f***ing kill yourself please

And the law enforcement varies across socal.

You want a yes or no question tell us what county you're in, as there's different COUNTY laws and MUNICIPAL laws and people who have experience about it.

You're the fool who can't read the CVC laws I already posted for ALL OF CALIFORNIA, might have to do with your weak education.

You want a specific answer, answer the specific questions I already asked.

"YES OR NO BECAUSE THOSE SOCAL LAWS ARE DIFFERENT THAN NORCAL LAWS"
Laws aren't written for SOCAL and NORCAL, there's multiple counties with different amounts of state officer patrols and municipalities which have their own laws they enforce instead of the state code.

Yes you're an idiot, and no I don't want to help you, read the thread and see we're talking about ALL the laws, not just M2 and plate.

As I said, there is no YES OR NO to your weak 3rd grade question.
Put some context on some grammar and make a complete statement if you wanna talk to me, you weak anonymous SoCal yuppie - go eat a GMO.

You want free legal advice you poor loser? I'm not a free attorney, so take your bulls**t somewhere else. Even if you paid me, I'd tell you to kick rocks until you kick the attitude and not to come back in my office.

This isn't TRUE or FALSE, this is State Law and it has to contrast County Law and Municipal Law. Too complex for you who can't answer what city they live in.
Your question is as useless as a fat hooker.

Get short with somebody else and see how much help they are.
Without knowing what city you're in, nobody can give you any actual legal advice, dumbass.

Obviously you want somebody to cosign some bulls**t like 2 step "Legal" requirements.

Read the GIGANTIC list of s**t I posted, that's ALL of the requirements. Not yes/no or whatever, go get an m2 and plate your s**t still isn't legal. I don't cosign bulls**t, this is also MY thread, you stupid f***.

Last edited:
Back