2017 California Vehicle Code CVC "Motorized Bicycle"

The goal of this thread honestly is to copy and paste all the CVC for the year into it relating to Motorized Bicycles, and also to contain ALL of the legislations and referenced codes into a Single Page Document, which I will try to maintain. Odd technical problems and the time it takes to do such a task is slow, but once it's done I'll remind everybody to check the top post.
I see in some of your previous post you reference 50cc and 51cc, what is the significance of engine displacement ?

I see in some of your previous post you reference 50cc and 51cc, what is the significance of engine displacement ?
In California, there is no <49cc law. Most people internationally are familiar with some sort of 50cc and less clause for license free transportation.

Really the clause is originally derived as to Motor Driven Cycles as far as I can see, displacing 150cc or more.

What less than 150cc class is there? The most common are small trail motorcycles, a common 90cc will only go 50mph.
Which is just a small motorcycle. Even a 50cc dirtbike is just a small motorcycle. Motorized bicycles really are a different thing, I tend to blame Vespa and their s**tty pedals for as to why we have ANY legislation.

That a 50cc sized motor can travel the national neighborhood speed limit of 35mph without registration has been in the back pocket of many Americans and International citizens.

Of course, it seems California is trying to build some legislation to bring an order to it with the ability to register it.

Also do understand, the DMV is a state office, and each state has their own DOT, but there is still a USDOT which ties all those records together.
That they have federal funding is why they have to adhere to federal guidelines, however as it is so progressive in Cali laws are being changed federally from our state decisions.

(from dmv website)
The R&D function is supported by three funding sources: (1) internal departmental budget support, (2) federal grants from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), State Office of Traffic Safety (OTS), and Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), and (3) special legislative appropriations or interagency agreements with other state departments. During the past 35 years, the R&D Branch has received over 9 million dollars in federal funds. R&D is also involved as co-investigator on projects with outside research groups and, when appropriate, contracts with outside groups to perform research studies.

And the law enforcement varies across socal.

You want a yes or no question tell us what county you're in, as there's different COUNTY laws and MUNICIPAL laws and people who have experience about it.

You're the fool who can't read the CVC laws I already posted for ALL OF CALIFORNIA, might have to do with your weak education.

You want a specific answer, answer the specific questions I already asked.

"YES OR NO BECAUSE THOSE SOCAL LAWS ARE DIFFERENT THAN NORCAL LAWS"
Laws aren't written for SOCAL and NORCAL, there's multiple counties with different amounts of state officer patrols and municipalities which have their own laws they enforce instead of the state code.

Yes you're an idiot, and no I don't want to help you, read the thread and see we're talking about ALL the laws, not just M2 and plate.

As I said, there is no YES OR NO to your weak 3rd grade question.
Put some context on some grammar and make a complete statement if you wanna talk to me, you weak anonymous SoCal yuppie - go eat a GMO.

You want free legal advice you poor loser? I'm not a free attorney, so take your bulls**t somewhere else. Even if you paid me, I'd tell you to kick rocks until you kick the attitude and not to come back in my office.

This isn't TRUE or FALSE, this is State Law and it has to contrast County Law and Municipal Law. Too complex for you who can't answer what city they live in.
Your question is as useless as a fat hooker.

Get short with somebody else and see how much help they are.
Without knowing what city you're in, nobody can give you any actual legal advice, dumbass.

Obviously you want somebody to cosign some bulls**t like 2 step "Legal" requirements.

Read the GIGANTIC list of sh*t I posted, that's ALL of the requirements. Not yes/no or whatever, go get an m2 and plate your sh*t still isn't legal. I don't cosign bulls**t, this is also MY thread, you stupid f**k.
It's posts like this that make me believe you forgot to install a seat on your bike, only somebody with a vibrating 8 inch steel pipe shoved up their ass could be so volatile on the internet...

It's posts like this that make me believe you forgot to install a seat on your bike, only somebody with a vibrating 8 inch steel pipe shoved up their ass could be so volatile on the internet...

Because that guy came in asking some sideways bulls**t question irrelevant to the real topic.
Plenty of people cosigning bulls**t about M2 and Plate and failing to mention anything else in other threads, this one is mine.

I'm not a free attorney, I got free advice and a free boot up anybody's ass come sideways at me asking stupid questions. Not a literal boot, but a figurative one.

Last edited:
Because that guy came in asking some sideways bulls**t question irrelevant to the real topic.
Plenty of people cosigning bulls**t about M2 and Plate and failing to mention anything else in other threads, this one is mine.

I'm not a free attorney, I got free advice and a free boot up anybody's ass come sideways at me asking stupid questions.
While that may be completely true, I still don't retract my statement.

While that may be completely true, I still don't retract my statement.

Unless you ever feel like it, in which case feel free to retract or add to it later.

It's no surprise to anyone that I can be a total dick - what triggers me is anybody acting that way toward me. So it is how it is.

Unless you ever feel like it, in which case feel free to retract or add to it later.

It's no surprise to anyone that I can be a total dick - what triggers me is anybody acting that way toward me. So it is how it is.
I think he asked for a yes or no answer, you have all the info to answer that with a big fat yes, as that is the simple fact that California intends to enforce.

You responded by calling him a stupid f***...

Somehow I didn't see the intent in his writings to piss you off, I think you imagined it.

You spread your yes across several posts filled with pointless slander. I could have done it in one word, and I think people would trust my word better if I chose to answer in such a way...

Don't you just love people who can't think straight enough to answer a yes or no question with a simple yes or no? Miraculous thing the internet is.

I guess moreso anyone who knows me knows that if I get going off about anything, I'm probably going off for 3 hours about it - no matter what I'm talking about.

I think he asked for a yes or no answer, you have all the info to answer that with a big fat yes, as that is the simple fact that California intends to enforce.

You responded by calling him a stupid f**k... (lol yeah i did)

Somehow I didn't see the intent in his writings to piss you off, I think you imagined it.

You spread your yes across several posts filled with pointless slander. I could have done it in one word, and I think people would trust my word better if I chose to answer in such a way...

Don't you just love people who can't think straight enough to answer a yes or no question with a simple yes or no? Miraculous thing the internet is.

The answer to his question is, >NO.

It's not a simple NO, it's a simple HOW, which is more than Yes or No.

The answer was not Yes or No, and the correct answer still isn't Yes or No.
There's more factors than he brought up and likely should naturally not even want to comply with THOSE things he brought up.
The answer is more, Yes No or More.

It's not Just No, it's what Else.
EVEN THO HE DOESN'T WANT TO HEAR IT AND DID ASK FOR YES OR NO.

I want to actually know, what's the REAL laws, what's the REAL requirements, what's the REAL parameters?
The maximum we need is m2, license, endorsement, permit, registration, helmet, insurance, mirrors, lights, reflectors, horn, brakes, speedometer, and then EVEN MORE s**t we haven't even figured out yet into a simple paragraph.

The minimum we need is Zero Registration, unless the Municipality requires Bicycle Licenses or enforces State laws to their extent.

Check this out!
If I have an RV and I have a Motorized Bicycle and I run out of Gas, I'm locking it and driving to the gas station for fuel and I'll be traveling Neighborhood speeds on the Freeway in an EMERGENCY situation legally - then I'd encounter a State Police Officer who would be authority to ask me for License, Registration and Insurance to be operating WHAT WHERE.

Last edited:
Back