2017 California Vehicle Code CVC "Motorized Bicycle"

The answer to his question is, >NO.

It's not a simple NO, it's a simple HOW, which is more than Yes or No.

The answer was not Yes or No, and the correct answer still isn't Yes or No.
There's more factors than he brought up and likely should naturally not even want to comply with THOSE things he brought up.
The answer is more, Yes No or More.

It's not Just No, it's what Else.
EVEN THO HE DOESN'T WANT TO HEAR IT AND DID ASK FOR YES OR NO.
Ten points from hufflepuff!

Oh God I have to swipe 7 TIMES TO GET TO THE TOP OF THE PAGE WHAT HAS HAPPENED?!?

::Because I go back and EDIT s**t later even too, going further into depth about whatever I'm talking about::

I want to actually know, what's the REAL laws, what's the REAL requirements, what's the REAL parameters?
The maximum we need is m2, license, endorsement, permit, registration, helmet, insurance, mirrors, lights, reflectors, horn, brakes, speedometer, and then EVEN MORE sh*t we haven't even figured out yet into a simple paragraph.

The minimum we need is Zero Registration, unless the Municipality requires Bicycle Licenses or enforces State laws to their extent.

Check this out!
If I have an RV and I have a Motorized Bicycle and I run out of Gas, I'm locking my house and driving to the gas station for fuel and I'll be traveling Neighborhood speeds on the Freeway in an EMERGENCY situation legally - then I might encounter a State Police Officer who would be authority to ask me for License, Registration and Insurance to be operating WHAT WHERE and WHY, I am considering any and all situations and scenarios here as to determine the intention of the law.

::Because I go back and EDIT sh*t later even too, going further into depth about whatever I'm talking about::

I want to actually know, what's the REAL laws, what's the REAL requirements, what's the REAL parameters?
The maximum we need is m2, license, endorsement, permit, registration, helmet, insurance, mirrors, lights, reflectors, horn, brakes, speedometer, and then EVEN MORE sh*t we haven't even figured out yet into a simple paragraph.

The minimum we need is Zero Registration, unless the Municipality requires Bicycle Licenses or enforces State laws to their extent.

Check this out!
If I have an RV and I have a Motorized Bicycle and I run out of Gas, I'm locking my house and driving to the gas station for fuel and I'll be traveling Neighborhood speeds on the Freeway in an EMERGENCY situation legally - then I might encounter a State Police Officer who would be authority to ask me for License, Registration and Insurance to be operating WHAT WHERE and WHY, I am considering any and all situations and scenarios here as to determine the intention of the law.

By definition, starting at another gateway into the code...
What is our horsepower operating at 28mph? 500W?

(5) (A) Class M2 includes the following:
(i) A motorized bicycle or moped, or a bicycle with an attached motor,
except an electric bicycle as described in subdivision (a) of Section 312.5.

SECTION 1.

Section 312.5 is added to the Vehicle Code, to read:

(a) An “electric bicycle” is a bicycle equipped with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts.

(1) A “class 1 electric bicycle,” or “low-speed pedal-assisted electric bicycle,” is a bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour.
(2) A “class 2 electric bicycle,” or “low-speed throttle-assisted electric bicycle,” is a bicycle equipped with a motor that may be used exclusively to propel the bicycle, and that is not capable of providing assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour.
(3) A “class 3 electric bicycle,” or “speed pedal-assisted electric bicycle,” is a bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 28 miles per hour, and equipped with a speedometer.
(b) A person riding an electric bicycle, as defined in this section, is subject to Article 4 (commencing with Section 21200) of Chapter 1 of Division 11.
(c) On and after January 1, 2017, manufacturers and distributors of electric bicycles shall apply a label that is permanently affixed, in a prominent location, to each electric bicycle. The label shall contain the classification number, top assisted speed, and motor wattage of the electric bicycle, and shall be printed in Arial font in at least 9-point type.

Last edited:

SECTION 1.

(a) An “electric bicycle” is a bicycle equipped with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts.

(1) A “class 1 electric bicycle,” or “low-speed pedal-assisted electric bicycle,” is a bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour.
(2) A “class 2 electric bicycle,” or “low-speed throttle-assisted electric bicycle,” is a bicycle equipped with a motor that may be used exclusively to propel the bicycle, and that is not capable of providing assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour.
(3) A “class 3 electric bicycle,” or “speed pedal-assisted electric bicycle,” is a bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 28 miles per hour, and equipped with a speedometer.
(b) A person riding an electric bicycle, as defined in this section, is subject to Article 4 (commencing with Section 21200) of Chapter 1 of Division 11.
(c) On and after January 1, 2017, manufacturers and distributors of electric bicycles shall apply a label that is permanently affixed, in a prominent location, to each electric bicycle. The label shall contain the classification number, top assisted speed, and motor wattage of the electric bicycle, and shall be printed in Arial font in at least 9-point type.
Wtf does this have to do with gasoline motorized bikes?

Cops are giving us ClassIII Motor Electric Bicycle Respect, except where they haven't been, just knowing s**t, nice s**t, cheap s**t, power s**t, basic crude common sense s**t, codes and s**t etc, taking it all into consideration.

Faster than X speed, right at the power band, where does it just cruise beautifully besides WOT. Print that on a registration sticker and put it on the motor, how fast does it go at how many watts during peak lowest maintenance operation. It's math but do it instead of getting a license

By definition, if the driver operates to within these defined parameters, it would be a Gasoline Lubricated Electrical Motor. It is an Engine powering the motor, of course the motor is all its powering - and the running lamps. It sure can be built to define into those parameters to meet an unlicensed driver freedom to reach a destination. Enough lights could be added to drain operation and Nerf the bike via the white wire if you get pulled over for speeding too often.

(5) (A) Class M2 includes the following:
(i) A motorized bicycle or moped, or a bicycle with an attached motor,
except an electric bicycle as described in subdivision (a) of Section 312.5.

SECTION 1.

Wtf does this have to do with gasoline motorized bikes?

Everything to do with power.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/2013/01/petrol-powered-bikes-beyond-the-law/
Comments out of Australia. Common sense is 50cc = 500w distribution from the records I've studied in KPH.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/traffic/rules-of-the-road/article147514594.html
This is a great article out of Washington, which is the uneducated publics general opinion to the best I've seen.

Last edited:
I think if the cops are enforcing 28mph then they know what they are ticketing for.

Define Registration and Define Motor.

What do we have inside that 2 cycle kit? Oh, a MOTOR, which delivers POWER, wheres that power go? Into the wheel once you pedal and get going. No license because its a tiny motor. Simple as that, don't register the bike! Or do register it, then you are a different vehicle.

Definitions mean a lot, what it is isn't what it appears to be.

How the rider operates their bicycle has a lot to do with what laws they are breaking and what rights they are excercising.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/motorcycles/motorcycles
Moped.jpg

That is a MOTORIZED BICYCLE, if it was to be registered as one and met the definitions. AKA Moped, equipped with a VIN and how its been treated for X amount of years.
Exempt from REGISTRATION, must display PLATE, even if you are pedaling it like a Bicycle. http://gokartsusa.com/SSR-Lazer5-Moped-49cc.aspx Thats the laws context. As I've said for years.

That's what the Legislation is targeting, face facts and quit coming down on me for telling it how it is.

Those get treated as Motorized Bicycles and we get to use the best of both worlds, CLASS3 electric with no registration and after registration to change its definition and remove operating speed limits etc. however you need FMVSS gear.

People talking s**t but they don't have a horn or side reflex reflectors or an m2.

All I'm saying is if I am going 39mph in a 35, I would be speeding 11mph over the speedlimit, and my bike reaches dangerous RPMs already at 37.

Last edited:
Accordig to Google

Do you need a motorcycle license to drive a Vespa?
To operate a motorized scooter you must be at least 16 years old and carry either an instruction permit or driver's license. If you choose to ride a moped that can reach 30 MPH, you're going to need a Class M2 or M1 license.

Back