212, death row motorised bike mods

Local time
5:06 AM
i have been asked by a client to build a 210cc death row kit and was wondering what some mods others have done, also looking for any advice, really want to hear from other peoples experience

one other thing i was worried about is the rear wheel being torn apart from acceleration, the kit comes with the cnc hub adaptor but i dont think the spokes will hold up, anyone have any familiarity with this?

one other thing i was worried about is the rear wheel being torn apart from acceleration, the kit comes with the cnc hub adaptor but i dont think the spokes will hold up, anyone have any familiarity with this?
You are correct to be concerned.

It is a terrible kit for a stock bike, and I would first make sure your client knows the expenses he will have to spend to make the kit not only reliable, but safe.

Off the top of my head you will need:
-Strong frame, either a steel quality cruiser like a Felt or older Schwinn, or a GOOD aluminum frame like the Faker(not the CDH "fat tank", the longer and lower Faker frame is quite a bit stronger - they are currently only around $135 on sale on Amazon!)
-Stronger wheels than a department store bike would come with, preferably steel hoops with 12g spokes. CNC hub adapter is better than rag joint when properly installed, but still not as good as a proper hub mounted sprocket setup
-Triple tree or quality MTB fork. Stock cruiser forks are crap and will have terribly harmonics at 40+mph, especially ones with a bend like the Hyper cruiser
-Brake upgrades. The engine kit is HEAVY, and your bike will need at bare minimum quality v-brakes front and back but I recommend discs on both wheels.
-Transmission backplate is pretty crappy cast aluminum and will break once you do any mods to the engine. It may live for a while with a bone stock setup but once you remove the governor and add an intake/exhaust you are above its power rating without even doing any real mods.
-New chain. The Death Row kit comes with the same terrible quality chinese 415 chain as the 2stroke kits that stretch it out with 1/3rd the HP and nowhere near as much TQ.

That is a nice chunk of change before you even get into any mods for the engine, but if you do go there the sky is the limit and basically everything can be upgraded. You can get a wide selection of different cams, ported heads, stiffer valvesprings, billet flywheels, aftermarket rods, etc from common gokart shops online like gopowersports and ombwarehouse.

Although my setup would be overkill for a stock 212, to put it in perspective just my rear wheel was almost $400 and that was building it myself. For a more traditional setup ghettobike has a set that will run ~$350 for both front/rear wheels using billet hubs, steel hoops, a quality sprocket, and 12g spokes. You'd still need tires though.

i have been asked by a client to build a 210cc death row kit and was wondering what some mods others have done, also looking for any advice, really want to hear from other peoples experience
first things first, what bike is it? if your going with any bike i would reinforce and gusset EVERYTHING on that frame (headtube, bb, rear triangle)
get hydralic brakes, if you cant run discs then run some magura hydralic rim brakes.
for wheels, i would go with a BMX style hubs (sealed ball bearing, 14mm axle) then make custom 1/4 steel dropouts. use good guality steel spokes (gauge doesn't matter that much, the grade of material does)

thers no limit to upgrades on those 212s, there the LS of the go-kart world.
i would get a bullet rod and flywheel and get a stage 1 kit,also remove the governor, then call it a day.

sadly in Australia we dont have the fully luxury of amazon or anything remotely similar to wallmart, there arent any main stream cruser bikes to fit the budget let alone the behemoth of an engine, dont have access to alot of the parts that you guys have, just trying to get a solid frame is going to cost close to 500 not including a properly done rear wheel and many other components to get this thing to work, let alone be safe enough for them to ride, totaling this up its going to be a couple grand and not loooking like its gonna go through with em, wish we had it as good as you guys!

sadly in Australia we dont have the fully luxury of amazon or anything remotely similar to wallmart, there arent any main stream cruser bikes to fit the budget let alone the behemoth of an engine, dont have access to alot of the parts that you guys have, just trying to get a solid frame is going to cost close to 500 not including a properly done rear wheel and many other components to get this thing to work, let alone be safe enough for them to ride, totaling this up its going to be a couple grand and not loooking like its gonna go through with em, wish we had it as good as you guys!
try craigslist, you can find some decent junk on there (found a 1000$ wood chipper on there for 30$, all it needed was a carb clean)

how good are you with welding? you could just get a beach cruiser and stretch the frame some. (as well as gussets and stuff)

also, check ebay, most of the time shipping is much cheaper there than specialty stores.

hope this helps!

also, you can get any engine that has a 3/4 stright shaft, and then order the parts by them selfs (again check craigslist and Facebook market place)
might be cheaper that way as well ( i heard that 5hp briggs flatheads are cheaper over there)

try craigslist, you can find some decent junk on there (found a 1000$ wood chipper on there for 30$, all it needed was a carb clean)

how good are you with welding? you could just get a beach cruiser and stretch the frame some. (as well as gussets and stuff)

also, check ebay, most of the time shipping is much cheaper there than specialty stores.

hope this helps!

also, you can get any engine that has a 3/4 stright shaft, and then order the parts by them selfs (again check craigslist and Facebook market place)
might be cheaper that way as well ( i heard that 5hp briggs flatheads are cheaper over there)
in Australia we have our own version of craigslist called gumtree, always find brand decent motorised bikes sometimes even brand new for under $100, including my current 80cc which only cost me $50 assembled on bike, guy couldn't figure it out and wanted it gone, best bike ive ever owned haha.

you can buy an identical 212cc engine just without the branding for $150 down here but the rest of the kit without engine to ship down is still right around $1000 aud. shipping cost more then the kit itself and there really isnt another way to cut any costs. if only our dollar wasn't so garbage at the moment.

another struggle is finding the bike, no major retailer sells cruiser bikes which is kinda weird to think about, the cheapest cruiser i would be able to get my hands on was around $250 and it wasn't really worth that price to hack it up and extend the frame, he also wanted a taller bike with atleast 100mm suspension so that idea was out the window.

cheers for all the help and a merry Christmas from down under!

Back