212 Golf Cart

I know this has 4 wheels but the build is in the spirit of what we do here. A friend gave me a fairly nice Ezgo cart that needed too much
to repair the electrics. Having a new 212 and torque converter in boxes its a no brainer. About a zillion of these have been done, but as usual
I opted for the hard way. Not wanting to build all the intricate structures most folks do I opted to use the case of the old motor. Required a lot of tedious, actually a little over an hour, cutting of the motor case. With the case opened I can run a drive shaft inside the case turning the original input shaft with Lovejoys being driven by a a chain from the Preddy. This keeps every thing in its original places drive wise. Much less complicated fab wise. And yes thats 1/2 steel I cut and hole sawed from the case. Speed calculations indicate a pretty good top end.

The brush holder now holds a flange bearing to support the shaft on the other end. Just waiting on Lovejoys now. Ignore the rusty parts, they will be handled.

Attachments

• CDA53312-2F3A-4F9F-8DCF-41486B2250FC.jpeg
    CDA53312-2F3A-4F9F-8DCF-41486B2250FC.jpeg
    246.9 KB · Views: 3,284
  • 0419F322-77A7-4E3C-8F6B-9B51076A257D.jpeg
    0419F322-77A7-4E3C-8F6B-9B51076A257D.jpeg
    256.2 KB · Views: 172
  • 814352DD-163F-42C9-9955-EF763E9BA54C.jpeg
    814352DD-163F-42C9-9955-EF763E9BA54C.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 166
  • 74B54E0D-0D4E-4E8F-B502-5E5A4FF888C9.jpeg
    74B54E0D-0D4E-4E8F-B502-5E5A4FF888C9.jpeg
    381.4 KB · Views: 170
  • FA168D7D-2D74-4B33-9BA6-AA3E80813E66.jpeg
    FA168D7D-2D74-4B33-9BA6-AA3E80813E66.jpeg
    363.6 KB · Views: 172
I know this has 4 wheels but the build is in the spirit of what we do here. A friend gave me a fairly nice Ezgo cart that needed too much
to repair the electrics. Having a new 212 and torque converter in boxes its a no brainer. About a zillion of these have been done, but as usual
I opted for the hard way. Not wanting to build all the intricate structures most folks do I opted to use the case of the old motor. Required a lot of tedious, actually a little over an hour, cutting of the motor case. With the case opened I can run a drive shaft inside the case turning the original input shaft with Lovejoys being driven by a a chain from the Preddy. This keeps every thing in its original places drive wise. Much less complicated fab wise. And yes thats 1/2 steel I cut and hole sawed from the case. Speed calculations indicate a pretty good top end.

The brush holder now holds a flange bearing to support the shaft on the other end. Just waiting on Lovejoys now. Ignore the rusty parts, they will be handled.
Rust is a sign or power!! Shiny things sit in a garage, rust means you've been out playing!!

This is right up my alley!! Love it Cannonball3!!! My gear dreams is a golf cart with a 1200 harley sportster engine on it. Dual exhaust!! The works! You think a 212 & torque convertor will pull that golf cart around? I'd think you would need a v-twin briggs & a 40 series torque convertor.

Theres a bunch of builds using the 212. They have plenty of power with a torque converter. Remember this cart has lost 600+ pounds, You literally can push it easily around with one hand.I dont know what a stock one weighs but bet it doesnt weigh much more than a common riding mower. Originally the electric motor motor was 4hp, all torque, top speed 13.
calculated top speed is in the upper 40s. Thats when I believe the 212 will lack power. I do believe 30- 35 is realistic.
We can ride carts on the road in our county with a warning triangle, flashing amber light, and a $15 a year registration. Im building this one as a speedster. No frills, cut down windshield, no top etc. Should be fun to smoke the locals with their 20k lifted carts! Carts are legally restricted to 20mph, so I will have to be low key.
pics of the cut down windshield rough out.

DT you got a crush on Chainlube-lol!

Attachments

• FA9F713D-D7AD-40E5-B38B-2105D963372F.jpeg
    FA9F713D-D7AD-40E5-B38B-2105D963372F.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 127
  • A0869BCC-2633-47C9-9556-041D31A912A4.jpeg
    A0869BCC-2633-47C9-9556-041D31A912A4.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 126
Theres a bunch of builds using the 212. They have plenty of power with a torque converter. Remember this cart has lost 600+ pounds, You literally can push it easily around with one hand.I dont know what a stock one weighs but bet it doesnt weigh much more than a common riding mower. Originally the electric motor motor was 4hp, all torque, top speed 13.
calculated top speed is in the upper 40s. Thats when I believe the 212 will lack power. I do believe 30- 35 is realistic.
We can ride carts on the road in our county with a warning triangle, flashing amber light, and a $15 a year registration. Im building this one as a speedster. No frills, cut down windshield, no top etc. Should be fun to smoke the locals with their 20k lifted carts! Carts are legally restricted to 20mph, so I will have to be low key.

Lmfao I just realized that Sir, sorry for that! Too much flower I guess!!!🤣😂🤣 like I said Sorry Cannonball3. Lmao I think this website just willy nilly changes names on its own!!!🤪🙄

With a 212, you'll have some room under the seat so you can cut down the box and retro-fit a couple of lawn tractor seats, get your CG down a bit.
Is that a regular 212 or a hemi? I like to port all my GX196s, makes them breathe a lot better. I never looked inside a hemi, so not sure how the porting would go.

Its a non hemi, I prefer them as a Honda electric start kit bolts on. Dont know about modding them, theres a ton of performance parts for them . Will leave this one pull start with a pull handle and choke outside the body. Think this thing might be a lot of fun in a go kartish sort of way.

Its a non hemi, I prefer them as a Honda electric start kit bolts on. Dont know about modding them, theres a ton of performance parts for them . Will leave this one pull start with a pull handle and choke outside the body. Think this thing might be a lot of fun in a go kartish sort of way.
Don't be afraid to pull a new engine apart to make it better. If you're gentle with it, you won't even need a new gasket. Take the governor out, a couple of stronger valve springs and a little porting, she'll be ripping.

I raced a Briggs Intek in the open class back around O5. Got pretty familiar with the mods on these type engines. I think the Preddy is very similar to the Briggs mod wise. Lots of performance parts for it. Will just pull the governor, and add a wrapped header mainly to get the exhaust out of the body.

Back