212cc mystery motor basketcase

Will'smotobikes19

Local time
5:56 PM
At my work I picked up a non hemi predator thats a few years old, Originally I thought it was locked up. The oil looked like creek mud (spilled on the floor woops). The cylinder is not scored but has black stains, not enough to even feel with fingernail in most places. I think it might have been overheated so idk if honing would work or not. All the parts look almost new no obvious signs of wear. The valves don't leak and the piston looks usable so does the rod. I found out the resistance was from the flywheel scraping the block. Very strange, almost as if he ground the flywheel against the shaft with compound until it started rubbing. He also was using a drill to start the engine, the nut is very much rounded and it was missing the pullstart. Maybe it just tightened so much it started rubbing idk. I need to get the nut off somehow, not sure how. If anything a good parts motor, with good crank, cam and head etc.

Soooooo, a bad crank seal led to hard starting and overheating and caused a bad crank bearing? Let the scrap heap have it. It's like $100 in bad parts lol.

I can't see the bearing, they are pretty beefy bearings. Sidecover one is fine and not rusty or damaged. The flywheel is rubbing against aluminum making it hard to rotate. Even with piston removed it doesn't want to turn. Before taking the sidecover loose i put brake fluid in the oil fill, still points to over tightened flywheel.

Last edited:
Use a breaker bar, smack it with a 2/3 lb sledge hammer on the end of the breaker bar. Shock should loosen it. 1/2in air impact w/impact socket is the right way to geter done.

Sounds like all you have that is good, is the head. Port it and have a nice head for another engine.

Back