212cc Trike?

Ever heard of the reliant robin? it was a car notorious for tipping.

Haha yeah, classic Clarkson. Between the Robin and the Peel P50 (world's smallest car) is a metric ton of laughs.

RockinRobin.gif

Peel P50.gif

yea the red on is ridiculously hiilarious like it was designed to do a barrel roll around every turn

Attachments

• barrel-roll-gif-10.gif
    barrel-roll-gif-10.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 146
  • eju5.gif
    eju5.gif
    1,020.4 KB · Views: 233
I gave up on my 212 too big made my guts ache but a trike would suit it, but it puts you down below drivers seat sight and you may need a wheelies bar and don't remove the carb govennor, heard horror stories carb saturated up hill then flies off. Also heard bike falling over breaking legs one crush skull death and so on.

yea i dodged that project ill build a death machine but im not touching that kamikazie suicide machine on the other note i did watch tthe full video from bbc about thhe reliant rrobin one of the funniestt things ive ever watched i cant bbelieve that crazy brits

Last edited:
That top gear episode had my dying. What I don't get is reliant made them for 30 years and the flipping issue was well known yet never fixed. Training wheels that only touch the ground on a severe tip might have worked a little bit.

At least the Robin had the advantage of having a true differential. Pedal trikes are almost always 1-leggers - only 1 side is the drive wheel, usually RHS, which ofc means that when the drive wheel is the inside wheel on a turn, it has a much higher chance to slip. This also induces "torque steer" if you have a significant amount of motor assist under hard acceleration, on deceleration if you have no freewheel between engine and drive.

There are trike differentials and other small differentials that can be adapted. I once owned a huge rickshaw trike with a rear bench seat that had a beefy trike differential on it. Don't know how much power that little diff can handle or how effective it is. Front-wheel drive is perhaps the better way to go, IMHO.

Back