21cc Echo FD

Just get a larger hole saw.
Problem is centering the hole saw to the new hole if this is for a clutch.

All this talk of 21cc motor. Is anyone really satisfied with that size of a motor? The 142f killed my desire for any 35cc motor, the 144f killed the 49cc for me, then the gx50 hit perfection to be legal [gray area].

Problem is centering the hole saw to the new hole if this is for a clutch.

Is anyone really satisfied with that size of a motor?
Yes.

My light units(previously and currently) give me plenty of power with only a little bit of effort. Once in the power band(wide) it grabs and goes and I can hit mid 20s no problem and top 30 If I wanted.. but that's the real key.

I really just want to cruise around 20.
And some prefer it fast or just want bigger engines. Some think small engines cant perform. I am out to make it happen!

I have found the stihl motors (fs series) to be very reliable and powerful for the 27cc or so rating. Very good torque.
Just harder to mount than most.

For me personally it comes down to a simple, basic transportation. so direct drive rather than centrifugal clutch kit is more appealing.

A zenoah motor can use a spindle with no 3rd bearing. One could make a simple mounting plate and muster up support frame with a drill and basic saw equipment.

Potential cost could be under 150. Engine and all.

I've JB welded a couple cut outs of 1/8 grade A plywood to make a frame and had relatively pretty good success.

Its amazing what that old JB can do.

I think engine size depends on what ones needs are. In the flats like here and Fla. a smaller engine is viable for
close in urban use. Not so much in hilly areas. Most FD users are it seems looking for a minimalist machine
that is user friendly, reliable, and low key. I suppose there are a few, myself included that have built larger
faster FDs. I still ride the Lifan 98cc for distance travel, hauling a trailer, etc.
The 21cc I built was an experiment on low power. For me its very viable where I live. I wouldnt have built it
if I still lived around Metro Atlanta.
I think the little 31cc four stroke might work out well especially with the negative stance on 2strokes by the greenies. It should rev high enough to have some decent speed, and return
super mileage. I have an assortment of MBs for various uses some for speed, some for running errands, some just because they are interesting. Right now minimalism I find interesting. Especially with the current situation of supply or
lack there of.

Having the need for more fuel capacity and a bunch of unused 2L peanut tanks, the inevitable happened.
Been telling myself it looks art deco speed racer-right. Makes a great fender for roller debris. Anyway holds around 70mi worth of fuel under
ideal conditions. 50+ for sure. Removed the leak prone Echo tank. Hopefully the stuff for my Minarelli
conversion will be here soon so I can quit finding things to do to this one. Actually having a bunch of fun with it.
Cheap thrills!

Attachments

• 3A20F336-8AB0-4016-9A76-ED0687CED84E.jpeg
    3A20F336-8AB0-4016-9A76-ED0687CED84E.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 141
  • EC00306B-43CF-497F-BDCA-136014943930.jpeg
    EC00306B-43CF-497F-BDCA-136014943930.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 156
That actually looks pretty darn slick!

How are you supporting such and keeping it from leaking?
Haha very nice retro fit.

There is a mount made from a section of thicker angle iron which is bolted to a 1&1/4x1/4 flat iron(I hate shaky mounts).
The mount is then bolted to the fork thru the normal brake/fender hole with a 1/4 G8 bolt. Tank sits in 3/4 heater hose
rails fitted to both sides of the flat iron and clamped in place by the stock tank mounts. Fuel is fed thru 5mm VW fuel line that fits tightly over the fuel inlet that has a piece of tygon on the nipple and cable tied. With out the fuel tank priming is total loss. Being enviro friendly I catch it in the fuel bottle, rarely needs priming. Working fine so far.

Back