225cc tillotson engine install advise

The bigger the sprocket the less top end, but better out of the hole. That's why I said a 54 tooth, would probably give you the best hill climbing without sacrificing too much top end. You have to set the idle at like 2000 rpm, if it seems like it wants to creep forward but doesn't then it's set right.
Your right I have it switched around. I guess I need to figure in the torque converter too . I have a 40 series torque converter

Your right I have it switched around. I guess I need to figure in the torque converter too . I have a 40 series torque converter
40 series stock rpm engagement is only around 1600rpm which is probably too low for a 212 and the motor would need a lower idle rpm then that to keep it from engaging at idle and shredding belts. Also a 212(or even your 225) isn't making much TQ at only 1600rpm so not the best for performance either on that motor. Its meant for larger lower rpm motors but on the bright side will handle anything that 225 can throw at it power wise although it might need some adjustment with the drive weights and driven spring to dial in proper engagement. I would go straight to the red weight+spring pack on the driver - only around $40 and will make a huge difference raising the engagement to 2600 where it is making a lot more TQ.

It adds almost 3:1 reduction off idle which is great for acceleration and can allow a bit taller gearing than a straight clutch, but go too far with too small rear sprocket or incorrect jackshaft gearing and it will chatter like crazy, shake during acceleration, and shred belts.

Not really too tall, just take for ever to get up to top speed. Hard on the belt. That's why I suggested 54, a 60 might work but they are 10" across. A 72 is huge but great acceleration.

4:1 final too tall. Go to a smaller wheel or gear approx 5:1.

Not really too tall, just take for ever to get up to top speed. Hard on the belt. That's why I suggested 54, a 60 might work but they are 10" across. A 72 is huge but great acceleration.
I'm betting it will be too tall as well. It will shudder like crazy and probably break stuff in the process. The converter does need some gearing advantage to start biting.

A stall kit for the converter will help a lot though.

I ran a 54 on my kart for one meet, there wasn't any issues other than it didn't accelerate like I wanted to so I went back to the 60. Drag race and hill climbs I'd like to run a 72, but, alas there is no room in the framework for it. Just to FN big.

I ride motorcycle as well. Probably more than most people, 7 to 10 thousand miles a year. I put a new set of tires on every spring. I rarely use my rear brake, just down shift and front brake. It is nice to have there though just in case that's for sure.
Yea I put 162,000 on in 10 years. Average 17,000 per year No snow in SO CAL. HA HA.
A M/C tire lasts me about 10,000 front and 8-9,000 Rear. I run Michelin Commander 2
I got in the habit to use my front and rear brakes in tandem. It really helps when ya gotta stop fast.
Most new M/C comes with ABS Brakes tracking control
Just by using your front brake all the time, When it counts in a split second, your not gonna be used to applying both brakes.
It might cost ya.

Yea I put 162,000 on in 10 years. Average 17,000 per year No snow in SO CAL. HA HA.
A M/C tire lasts me about 10,000 front and 8-9,000 Rear. I run Michelin Commander 2
I got in the habit to use my front and rear brakes in tandem. It really helps when ya gotta stop fast.
Most new M/C comes with ABS Brakes tracking control
Just by using your front brake all the time, When it counts in a split second, your not gonna be used to applying both brakes.
It might cost ya.
I ride year round as well in FL. Picked up a Concours for long commutes and put over 30k on it in two years lol. Also gets MUCH better tire life than my last bike...I was lucky to get 7k out of a Pilot Road 3 rear on my 14R and under 5k on a Pilot Power...yikes.

Must be nice to have so many riding days. We really don't get a whole lot up here in Minnesota but i gear up a little and ride through the cold anyways. The hairy situations I've ran into have been deer darting out in the road a semi driver almost running me off a curve and one freak time around a left curve in the country i went over a manhole cover and my kickstand came down. Thought i was going ditch hopping for sure but when i went off the shoulder to the right the kick stand went back up and the rear tire got a little loose which allowed me oversteer just a titch and squeak back onto the road. I already had a path through the grass laid out in my mind but my guardian angel must have been paying attention.

Back