24" Green NE5

E

Egor

A friend of mine is getting rid of his NE5 with only 85 mi. on it. He now wants a Honda Ruckus. We called the shop that we got it at Muldons in Carson and he is selling the new ones he has for 1,800. This one was 16, my friend wants 1,450, I am thinking of getting it but to do so I need to sell some of my happy bikes. I have worked on this bike a few times and I am not overly impressed with the quality. I have worked on the original ones and they always work, these bikes have a lot of china looking parts on them. I can make it work well and I like the way it handles but I will do what I can to make look more original. I will keep you posted. Have fun, Dave

This is a pic of the bike and my friends, Rob is sitting on the bike. I talked to him today and it looks like we worked out a deal. That is my Happy time bike. Pauls blue one through my Happy. Have fun, Dave

Attachments

• PICT0293.jpg
    PICT0293.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 477
  • PICT0294.jpg
    PICT0294.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 457
Dave, first of all, that's a really nice HT-powered Schwinn you have there. Nice job! The modern Whizzers are made in Taiwan, so you will see a number of the "China looking" parts on them. Like your plans, I've been backdating mine as time goes on to help make it look more vintage. I have changed the saddle, handlebars, tank graphics, installed round mirrors and more. Mine has chrome fender tips, and I painted the fenders antique white (the frame is black) to give it a more retro look too.
Welcome to the Whizzer fraternity!

Here is my NE5 I've been back dating.Kilroy did you put a Chrome rear tip on you're bike.I'd like to see them if you did.I'm thinking about doing that to my bike.

Attachments

• IMG_2490_5.jpg
    IMG_2490_5.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 472
Yes, I have the chrome tips on both fenders, but I was fortunate in that the bike already had these when I bought it. I don't see them listed in Whizzer's online catalog anymore, but I'll bet one or more of our Whizzer dealers might have them. Here are some photos.

Attachments

• 100_0946.jpg
    100_0946.jpg
    741.5 KB · Views: 521
  • Whizzer2.jpg
    Whizzer2.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 382
Hi Egor, are the handle bars on the green Whizzer factory? If not what are they and where did they come from? Thinking about changing mine.

Thanks

Hi Egor, are the handle bars on the green Whizzer factory? If not what are they and where did they come from? Thinking about changing mine.

Thanks

Ren, Yes they are just stock. I think Rob just has them turned down a little. The bars I like the most are the ones on my ELectra, its just a pedal bike but they are the best looking, and feel. Have fun Dave.

This is a list of the don't likes about the bike. 1) the paint scheme, no standard striping. 2) center stand, holds bike too high, flimsy. 3) fork angle too steep, needs to angle out more. 4) junkie look under the tank, Ill clean that up. 5) black cheep rims, and cheep whitewall tires. 6) black seat, cheep looking. Ill cover it in brown leather. 7) the cheep looking cover for the belts, find an original. 8) the belts, always slipping. 9) Handlebars, I don't like the look and feel. 10) the squeaking rear brake, poor design, don't know how to fix. That got long!

This is a list of the don't likes about the bike. 1) the paint scheme, no standard striping. 2) center stand, holds bike too high, flimsy. 3) fork angle too steep, needs to angle out more. 4) junkie look under the tank, Ill clean that up. 5) black cheep rims, and cheep whitewall tires. 6) black seat, cheep looking. Ill cover it in brown leather. 7) the cheep looking cover for the belts, find an original. 8) the belts, always slipping. 9) Handlebars, I don't like the look and feel. 10) the squeaking rear brake, poor design, don't know how to fix. That got long!

I can address some of your dislikes. I too didn't like the handlebars and swapped them out for a set of 28" half-moon bars. The mess of wiring under the tank is sheathed in a wrap of friction tape on mine (tidys it up and keeps the vintage look). You must have different whitewall tires, as mine are nice, with the prewar style Goodyear tread. You can replace the fork with one of the Schwinn "knee-action" springers or one of the chrome aftermarket ones (not as strong as the Schwinn). The forward rake will be better with this type of fork. Replace the belts with Gates belts, and you'll have better luck. You can replace the center stand with a rear drop stand from Memory Lane Classics ( www.memorylane-classics.com ). They should also have the original Whizzer belt guard. I ditched the Whizzer seat for a classic springer crashrail model from BikeWorldUSA (although Memory Lane also carries this). PM me if you want more detailed info about any of these. Here's a photo that shows the handlebars and seat.

Attachments

• 100_0952.jpg
    100_0952.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 362
Well I got the bike yesterday, and took it out for a ride today. I like the bike a lot, I like the sound the most. All the little clicking sounds make it sound old, just like the original. I don't know what to do about the drive mechanism from the 40's it needs to go. The bike looks some like the original but it is a new remake of the old, so I am not apposed to changing the drive completely. I have no idea where they got the brake in the rear, all it does is make noise. This bike has a larger header pipe than the others, looks OK. I like the Green color of the bike I think I would have chose the same color if I were the first owner. I am thinking about putting some stripes, and trim at the front and rear of the fenders. Have fun, Dave

Back