26" Cruiser from down under

Hey MB'ers!

This is my first build, just thought i'd throw a couple pics up and introduce myself.

I'm from melbourne, australia and decided to build up a motored bike to get around on for a while due to a license suspension... :whistle:

I read everything i could on this forum about the 2 stroke HT's, and so far with a few minor mods its up and running in a 26" cruiser

66cc ebay HT kit, NGK plug and bosch lead and a "speed" carb.
roughened up intake port and tube, deburred anything i could find in the bore/head

had to machine out the center hole in the rear sproket to fit over the hub,
and also fabricate an engine mount for the downtube because it was too fair away,
its handy having a lathe, vice and welder around for these builds!

still on the first tank of gas, mixed it at 16:1 was getting some 4 stroking low-mid range,
just leaned it out at the needle, and see how it goes after the next tank, going to try 32:1. using castrol oil as well.

7181jku.jpg

KG9CdE6.jpg

next I plan on chopping the seat post down and get that seat riding low, install a rear fender and search for some nice old school grips :cool:

Very nice build! That front motor mount looks like it came with the bike. All the cables & wiring is nice and clean. I like it a lot. And just remember that the engine will continue to get stronger & run better as you break it in (and even afterwards for some time.)

Looks great. When you lower the seat, consider moving it rearward with a layback seat post or some other piece so that you can still pedal comfortably.

Very nice build! That front motor mount looks like it came with the bike. All the cables & wiring is nice and clean. I like it a lot. And just remember that the engine will continue to get stronger & run better as you break it in (and even afterwards for some time.)

thanks Bzura!

Looks great. When you lower the seat, consider moving it rearward with a layback seat post or some other piece so that you can still pedal comfortably.

Cheers!

just before i read this post i was looking at the seat post and thinking the exact same thing ha!

had it up to just over 25mph on the way home today, motor seems to like being in the mid-wot range :helmet:

I would not recommend adjusting your air/fuel ratio until you're finished running break-in mix. Otherwise it may be too lean when you switch to less oil. A little 4 stroking during break-in won't hurt anything.

thanks for the tip butterbean! :D

the temperature here this week is up around 110F, thankfully we got the rest of the week off work, not exactly ideal conditions for a little HT motor!

when the weather cools down i'm going to fab up a chain guide to stop the chain brushing against the tyre, i'll post some pics when i do it,
im running 2.125 cruiser tyres at the moment, i plan on replacing the rear with a 2.0 or 1.95 for peace of mind.

Another bike that I like!, which is rare because i have a specific style. Another build with awesome taste!

And wheelbender, you have the same idea as I do. I have one on my bike. Its amazing, most people think putting on a layback seat is for style, yeah, maybe for some, but its also for ergonomics.

layback seat does look good though :)

thanks Dave31,

moved the CDI up a little, sprayed some ceramic header paint on the exhaust, had welded up some tiny holes in the factory welds and was looking a little ugly..

ctnozxj.jpg

re aligned the rear sprocket the best I could, its not perfect, but better than it was.

gonna have a search around work for some 1" tube to fab up a laid back seatpost, and also might chop up some handle bars and do a new exhaust just to try it out.

ordered some new tyres, 1.75 schwalbe road cruiser for the front, and a 1.95 schwalbe city jet for the rear..

For tires, I recommend Kenda K838's. I have only put about 600 miles on mine, but they still look brand new. They are 26 x 1.95 and the chain should clear no problem. They are a little softer than most cruiser/department store type tires, so they grip the road better which means they wear slower. They also have a much smoother feeling ride than cruiser tires or knobbys. One word of advice though. If you happen to find yourself on a wet road, go easy on the throttle and use the front brake gently. With these tires, going to fast + slamming the front brake = you on the ground. Let's just say I learned that the fun way and leave it at that.

Back