29”s out there, what works best for friction drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadCat

Local time
2:15 AM
I just got my bike together tonight ( HS142f/ Staton ) and I’m pretty much happy with friction drive. It’s so much better than the 79cc frame mounted setup I tried a few weeks ago ( and safer ). My question is for members out there that are riding 29” bikes. What roller works best with this wheel size ( I’m using a 1.34” roller now ) and what tire brand/model ( that are available in 29” ) works best with friction drive? I’m using the stock Genesis Walmart tires that came with the bike now, I’m sure there’s better out there. I’m riding on flat roads and I weigh 240lbs. Thanks

My question is for members out there that are riding 29” bikes. What roller works best with this wheel size ( I’m using a 1.34” roller now ) Thanks
The diameter of your wheel does not change the gearing ratio on a friction drive.

A 1.34” spindle on a 29" wheel is the same ratio as a 1.34” spindle on a 16" wheel.
The 1.34” spindle rolls on a circumference of the wheel just like it was rolling on the road.

1.34” spindle is a good size for 240lb rider on a 8000 rpm 50cc Hausheng motor.

I have the 29er Genesis GS29 with the HS 142F friction drive setup. I would highly recommend the Maxxis Hookworm. I ride my MB daily and have had a pair on for over a year. I have the 1 3/4" roller.

I tried ordering a set from Jenson USA and they want to tack on a $60 oversized shipment charge. Do you know of a better deal on a set of these tires? Thanks

Monster Scooter parts has a sale on various 29" bicycle tires.

Generally you want a tire with a semi slick center band like the Kenda Kross but it looks like in 29" size you're stuck with mostly knobbies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back