'2High'- The Motorized Tall Bike

Hi folks,
I built '2High' the Tall Bike after returning from Christmas break. I was away visiting family & had plenty of time to surf YouTube gathering ideas on how I was going to build mine. I'm not a welder as many of you know from my previous builds. I prefer nuts & bolts & drilling, cutting and recently grinding. As a child I wore out my erector set...lol
At first, '2High' was pedal only. I wanted to make sure I liked riding it up so high and was comfortable getting up on it & down off it before adding the engine. BTW, riding up high is so much fun & people go crazy taking pictures, videos & shouting out words of encouragement as I ride on by.
Its morphed a few times from MTB style handlebars to Roadie bars w/aero clip-ons, & now an 8" rise BMX bar. It also has gone from 8 speed to single speed with dual rear freewheels (one for engine, one for pedaling and totally independent of eachother (no drag).
I added a Tanaka TC47 geared for max 27-29 mph. I'll be adding my large ATV fairing & Serfas Hugh Jass saddle.
I ordered a 22T 'all threaded' freewheel today so I can flip the 2 rear freewheels around. This will better my engine powered chainline & allow me to run a larger pedaling chainring. I may even add one of the pocketbike expansion chambers I got laying around & wrap it with some header wrap.
Cheers,
-Lowracer-

Attachments

• TallBikeMotorized1.jpg
    TallBikeMotorized1.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 884
  • TallBikeMotorized2.jpg
    TallBikeMotorized2.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 784
  • TallBikeMotorized3.jpg
    TallBikeMotorized3.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 827
  • TallBikeMotorized4.jpg
    TallBikeMotorized4.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 845
  • TallBikeMotorized5.jpg
    TallBikeMotorized5.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 825
  • Tall Bike Project9me.jpg
    Tall Bike Project9me.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 920
  • Tall Bike Project8.jpg
    Tall Bike Project8.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 822
  • Tall Bike Project3.jpg
    Tall Bike Project3.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 1,041
  • Tall Bike Project4.jpg
    Tall Bike Project4.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 824
  • Tall Bike Project6.jpg
    Tall Bike Project6.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 805
  • Tall Bike Project7.jpg
    Tall Bike Project7.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 791
  • Tall Bike Project5.jpg
    Tall Bike Project5.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 821
  • Tall Bike Project10aero.jpg
    Tall Bike Project10aero.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 896
  • Dual freewheel.jpg
    Dual freewheel.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 826
  • Dual freewheel1.jpg
    Dual freewheel1.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 785
  • Dual freewheel2.jpg
    Dual freewheel2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 817
  • TallBikeMotorized6.jpg
    TallBikeMotorized6.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 801
Last edited:
All I can say is, at least you don't have a front brake, so you won't flip over the bars. I can't really say anything else, because my momma told me not to.

BB,
In its current configuration, '2High' only as a front brake (no rear brake).
My 2 road bikes (pedal only) both only have a front brake as well.
I've never had a problem with over braking while sitting up (launch pad).
Previously, I was a MTB racer where bike handling & braking skills were learned the hard way...lol
-Low-

Well, my momma always told me if I didn't have anything nice to say, I shouldn't say anything. So I can't say anything else.

Got my new rear wheel, its an Alex rim freewheel hub 26" black w/36 spokes and very nice for $35. I finished putting together the new drivetrain to better align the chainline and to swap the freewheels around to allow the pedal power side to be on the outside. Now I can run a 53T pedal chainring instead of a 20T. I put the smaller leather sprung saddle back on too. Chains line up perfectly now. I might finish building a DIY MiniVelo as seen in pics out of one of my kids bikes.
Cheers,
-Lowracer-

Attachments

• TallBikeMotorized10.jpg
    TallBikeMotorized10.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 272
  • TallBikeMotorized12.jpg
    TallBikeMotorized12.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 264
  • TallBikeMotorized13.jpg
    TallBikeMotorized13.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 264
  • TallBikeMotorized14.jpg
    TallBikeMotorized14.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 249
  • TallBikeMotorized15.jpg
    TallBikeMotorized15.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 261
  • TallBikeMotorized17.jpg
    TallBikeMotorized17.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 265
  • diyMiniVelo.jpg
    diyMiniVelo.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 283
  • TallBikeMotorized21.jpg
    TallBikeMotorized21.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 278
  • TallBikeMotorized20.jpg
    TallBikeMotorized20.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
I ordered and installed a new fork to lower the front end a bit to put more weight on the front.
Last week, off the line with strong pedallng & full throttle caused the bike to wheelie on me. I got it corrected before it got too out of control, but it was alarming. The previous Bloodline fork has a similar axle to crown length as a suspension fork and lifted the front end putting too much weight rearward. The new fork feels alot better, but no more full throttle under power pedalling takeoffs for me...lol
I got a new Tanaka 40cc engine coming in the mail tomorrow and will either put it on '2High' or onto the full suspension scooter I pilaged the Tanaka 47cc & gearbox to build '2High'.
Here are some pics w/the new fork.
-Cheers-
Lowracer

Attachments

• Latest1Tallbike.jpg
    Latest1Tallbike.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 244
  • Latest2Tallbike.jpg
    Latest2Tallbike.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 249
I added a nice stack of carbon headset spacers to replace the 'extra stem' I was using to take up 35mm's of space & also to allow fine tune adjustments to ride height. They were cheap so I had to get'em.
-Low-

Attachments

• TallBikeMotorized22.jpg
    TallBikeMotorized22.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 227
On the other forum, I was digging an electric bike made by Cannonball2 using an Xtracycle longtail cargo kit.
It got my wheels turning & I started modifying '2High' into '2High2Long2Plush'.
The tall bike is a hoot to ride both motorized and pedal powered. The wheelbase would benefit from being longer especially since the center of gravity is so high that it makes it very easy to wheelie, and I dont even want to think what would happen in an emergency braking situation...
Pilaging parts from this free full suspension bike turned scooter, I will be using the rear swingarm/shock to extend & suspend '2High' and its cheapy front triple tree suspension fork (or my Marzocchi Bomber single crown fork gathering dust).
I got most of the rear end complete, just gotta drill a few holes, bolts things up & extend the chains.
Here's what I got so far.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

• CannonballThread7.jpg
    CannonballThread7.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 247
  • CannonballThread8.jpg
    CannonballThread8.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 231
  • CannonballThread9.jpg
    CannonballThread9.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 226
  • CannonballThread10.jpg
    CannonballThread10.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 220
I got the rear end sorted out & almost complete, just one more hole to drill & bolt thru.
I then installed a Marzocchi MTB single crown suspension fork I had in the closet that came off my MTB.
With full suspension & the extended wheelbase, this will make a better Road Warrior.
I also found nice 24" chain tubes at Home Depot for 98c/ea. I'm going to be using them for the chain to clear the right rear support strut & at the bottom bracket/rear dropout swingarm pivot point (removing the skateboard wheel as seen in the pics).
I'll be able to run a perfectly straight shot with the tubes for less friction. Many tadpole trikes use chain tubes effectively for chain & grease management. Still need to hookup the chain for pedaling w/a rear derailleur tensioner, then another rear derailleur at the rear wheel of the bike.
Looking forward to its 2nd maiden voyage since morphing.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

• TallBikeMotorized23.jpg
    TallBikeMotorized23.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 216
  • TallBikeMotorized24.jpg
    TallBikeMotorized24.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 249
Not wanting to leave well enough alone, I have done a few things since the last pics.
I added a front disc brake (Avid BB7 cable), routed the chains thru chain tubes (like recumbent trikes use), and swapped top frames. I may need to get a lock-out rear shock since in pedal only mode, it bounces down the road as the chain pulls the rear swingarm up. The engine drive doesn't have this problem as it pulls the swingarm forward. I may use the silver frame that was on top for its rear section and do away with rear suspension altogether. I like pedaling enough to sacrifice the suspension.
Let me know if the bikes looks any better as it is now?
Thanks,
-Lowracer-

Attachments

• TallBikeMotorized31.jpg
    TallBikeMotorized31.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 260
  • TallBikeMotorized32.jpg
    TallBikeMotorized32.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 221
I hope you have a good helmet and know how to fall! I'd hate to fall from that high at 30 mph, you're a brave man!

Also, cool bike :)

Back