2inch frame tube motor mount?

50mm x6mm exhaust clamp U bolt and some 4mm steel plate is doing the job just perfectly for me. I was able to adjust the angle to be perpendicular to the downtube with little aluminium wedges I made to go either side of the plate, and the shape to fit the oddly shaped tubing too.
It seems I only took a photo of the top part of the clamp which was ground to fit and then filled with epoxy to spread the weight.. But I did grind the U bolt too so it's flatter inside, and bent it to fit the shape nicely.

ok cool i had somewhat the same idea wasent sure how it would hold up tho but i was almost abble to get it i was fiddleing around with these

Attachments

• 20190130_094609.jpg
    20190130_094609.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 99
I was fiddleing around with these
A 2" diameter tube can easily be dented when tightening the clamp and that can lead to it snapping when you're riding at 8000rpm! (Even if it's steel I would think, though mine is aluminium)
Stock U bolt thickness just is not safe for a large diameter frame. IMHO you need to use 6mm bare minimum and flatten the inner face on the grinder, and fill up the "saddle" part so it doesn't crush the tube.

If I did it again, (and of course I will) I would put a patch of aluminium plate on the frame, maybe JB Weld epoxy to the frame, to help support the U bolt and stop the wide tube being so stressed.

I don't know how important is it to get the U bolt perpendicular to the tube I have seen U bolts mounted 'not really' perpendicular to the tube but I just couldn't.. I just couldn't.. Gotta do it right. :coffee::geek:

Yea im not really feeling how its sitting on there myself and im not to fond of the 2" tube im thinking about scraping this project and moving the parts to another frame i just gotta go get the frame from a friends house

50mm x6mm exhaust clamp U bolt and some 4mm steel plate is doing the job just perfectly for me. I was able to adjust the angle to be perpendicular to the downtube with little aluminium wedges I made to go either side of the plate, and the shape to fit the oddly shaped tubing too.
It seems I only took a photo of the top part of the clamp which was ground to fit and then filled with epoxy to spread the weight.. But I did grind the U bolt too so it's flatter inside, and bent it to fit the shape nicely.
Not a fan of U-bolts at all, seen what they can do to exhaust 3" on my motorhome. I like your saddle, but would use regular bolts with a flat strap, bent to fit frame. Instead of U bolt, so many aluminum frames as well as steel done in because of U bolts..............Curt

Not a fan of U-bolts at all, seen what they can do to exhaust 3" on my motorhome. I like your saddle, but would use regular bolts with a flat strap, bent to fit frame. Instead of U bolt, so many aluminum frames as well as steel done in because of U bolts..............Curt
Yeah I'm not 100% happy with it, that's why I think I should have put some aluminium plate under the U bolt. Although I have been careful to not overtighten the U bolt.

Back