3 inch wide tire question

... request a replacement bolt.
I'll need to bend my coaster brake arm.

Just take one up to the hardware store, it doesn't have to be metric, just the same diameter and length.

]I'm thinking of going with a jack shaft kit someday so I can bypass all this rear wheel sprocket stuff.
I was thinking of installing a 3 or 5 speed cruiser style rear hub transmission anyway at some point.

I find a 3-speed internal hub on a shifter to be ideal.
Just remember that on a shifter you loose your coaster brake so it needs alternate rear brakes.

while you're at the hardware store, replace all 9 nuts and bolts with grade 8 stuff and buy a tube of loctite

Just take one up to the hardware store, it doesn't have to be metric, just the same diameter and length.

I find a 3-speed internal hub on a shifter to be ideal.
Just remember that on a shifter you loose your coaster brake so it needs alternate rear brakes.

I'll keep that in mind and invest in a 3 speed when I decide to shift. I could proabably get away with just having a front drum brake if I'm willing to sacrifice my coaster brake for the shifter hub but that's later down the road

Getting everything installed is priority number 1 this month. I'm just so glad everything fits on my crusier.

There's been a few setbacks like that nut stuck on that bolt in the sprocket and I gotta go get my old bearing cups removed at a shop because they won't budge and I don't have tools good enough to pull them out.

I should have everything finished and up and running by the end of this month.

while you're at the hardware store, replace all 9 nuts and bolts with grade 8 stuff and buy a tube of loctite

I should. These bolts and nuts feel pretty cheap and I'm sure the hardware store near my house has the same size only better quality.

I gotta go get my old bearing cups removed at a shop because they won't budge and I don't have tools good enough to pull them out.
Naw, BB cups are easy to get out and you don't pull them out, you push them out.

All you need is a light sledge hammer and long socket extension or similar hard long metal rod.
Push the rod through one side to the far cup and whack it on the edges.
Beware! They fly out!

It's helpful to take a 1/4 round file to the BB inside to make it easier for the next cups to go in.
That same sledge hammer and a block of wood will help you get the new cups in.

Naw, BB cups are easy to get out and you don't pull them out, you push them out.

All you need is a light sledge hammer and long socket extension or similar hard long metal rod.
Push the rod through one side to the far cup and whack it on the edges.
Beware! They fly out!

It's helpful to take a 1/4 round file to the BB inside to make it easier for the next cups to go in.
That same sledge hammer and a block of wood will help you get the new cups in.

I borrowed a file and a sledge from my neighbor and gave it a try and they just won't budge (and yes I am trying to push them out.) I think after all this time the bottom bracket shrunk slightly to the point where it tightened around the cups making them harder to remove. I wish these things would just unscrew like other bottom bracket components do. Looks like I'll need to take it to the shop to get them removed. They said it costs only $10 to swap the cups and I'll just install the crank myself.

I borrowed a file and a sledge from my neighbor and gave it a try and they just won't budge
The BB cups you have are just silver cups for 1 piece cranks, no connecting bolts right?
They are just pressed in and no, your BB didn't shrink hehe ;-}

The bike shop will do the same thing, just charge ya $10.
A nice long heavy blunt shaft and big hammer is the only way to take them out.

I checked the chain clearance for the tire today and it looks like there's just barely enough clearance for operation. I still would need to cut or bend my rear fender.

020.jpg

I checked the chain clearance for the tire today and it looks like there's just barely enough clearance for operation.
I still would need to cut or bend my rear fender.

Yep.
Unlike the right side of your fender that is bent in to allow the pedal chain to pass, you need to make your own for the left side.

Yep.
Unlike the right side of your fender that is bent in to allow the pedal chain to pass, you need to make your own for the left side.

What tools would you recommend for bending a fender? I don't want to use anything that would scratch or crack my fender.

Back