3-speed Jackshaft Build Chain Tensioner

I set out to build my first SickBikeParts Jackshaft shifter kit bike on a nice new Giant Suede 3-speed coaster.

It is a heavy duty beach cruiser with front and seat shocks, but a low top bar clearance to bar and the pedal crank is forward of the seat post.

I ordered the 2010 model in the top pic but the only thing they had that was black was the 2009 in the lower pic.

GXcompare.jpg

I love the bike and it looked like everything would fit.

I got the JackShaft kit assembled fine too.

shift7.jpg

Yes, I painted the mounts to match the shiny new Grubee black 66cc GT5 motor with 11 coats of engine paint ;-}

But when I went to install it with the crank so far forward and as low as I have to mount the motor the chain hits the motor!

jackWontFit.jpg

As mentioned I can't go up, there is no room.

jackWontFitSqueezeDual.jpg

I love the motor where it is, and though I could move it up if I mounted the carb off to the side, that just didn't make any sense to me.

Now I hate putting any tensioner/idler pulley on a main chain drive, but I don't have a choice here so I looked at my options.

I figured I would just see if I could use the otherwise stock kit tensioner pully and I can, but there is a small window I can place it in so it doesn't hit the motor or the now to be main drive pedal chain!

NewJackPlate4.jpg

I pondered this problem for two days thinking of how I could add something to the motor to support a pulley and all looked bad until it dawned on me :unsure:

All I need is a modified right side JackShaft mounting plate like this.

NewJackPlate5.jpg

It would look like this from the left where it mounts to the back of the clutch housing.

NewJackPlate1.jpg

And from the right side it looks normal and the pulley can move the length of of the bottom of the motor without touching it.

NewJackAnimate.gif

I think with this setup you could even use a crank mounted forward AND above of the final JackShaft motor drive sprocket.

I e-mailed Jim at SickBikes this morning to see if they could offer this plate design as an option with their kits.

What the heck right?
It is just a couple more cuts on a little bigger piece of steel, you can use the otherwise unused kit tensioner pulley, and with the 3 point mount to the motor it sure as heck won't flop around like the stock mount can on a chain rail.

What do you think?

KC.gif
wee.gif
KC's Kruisers.

Nice bike, but....uh.....what happened to the *small hot babe*? Been waiting for that. :D
I'm working on finding a babe to ride it, I just haven't found one than ride well yet is all, in fact there was a a sort of babe in the back of the pickup filming me ;-}

Back