32 spoke wheel, any options?

Reeko

Local time
1:28 AM
Hey guys, got my first motor bike built. Was getting it to start, rode a bit, then my chain broke at the master and cant find the pieces.

I'm using the rag setup on my 32 spoke wheel, and only have 8 of the nine bolts on it right now (the ninth is blocked by spokes) There seems to be no way to get all 9 bolts through, 8 is the best I can do. It's pretty hard to true the sprocket because of this (I am thinking this is why my chain failed). What are my options? I want a clam shell adapter but can't seem to find one that will work with 32 spoke wheels. Should I just buy a 36 spoke wheel and get a clamshell, or is there another way? Thanks guys!! It's a 700c wheel btw.

loosen the spoke that is blocking and put a bit of bend in it at the bolt-hole, then mount the 9th bolt & align the sprocket, now tighten the loosened spoke and check wheel is true (spokes don't need to be straight to work)

If you can find clearance for 8 holes on a 9 hole rag mount then you can definitely find clearance for a 3 peg clamshell. It would be mathematically impossible not to be able to since you did it 2 out of 3 times on the rag mount.

been there, done that. loosen the spoke and bend it out of the way. you'll have the same problem with a clamshell.

thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up being able to true the sprocket using only 8 of the bolts. Seems to be running fine now. Lubing the chain with moly gease helped alot too. Thanks again!

good lube never hurts. I like to direct my exhaust so the excess oil lubes my chain.

Back