33cc pull start 2 stroke problems after rain. Help.

3yt

Local time
12:51 PM
So I replaced the carb, spark plug, fuel filter and air intake/choke. It was working fine but I left it out in the rain while I went to see a movie. It's not starting anymore. I took out the plug, I would get 1 good spark then nothing. I replaced the plug and it seems to have consistent spark. I disconnected the kill switch, still not starting. I unscrewed the 4 bolts on the bottom of the carb and drained the gas. It doesn't have an air filter, my guess is water got into the engine. Help!

try hooking up the killswitch wires together, some engines have to have a constant connection, and then the kill switch disconnects that.

take out the spark plug again, and pull the engine repleatedly, if you see stuff coming out of the spark plug, then you have water it in, which you just cleared by doing that.

does it have gas in the tank?

then tighten the sparkplug, put the choke on and pull repeatedly, it should start then.

try hooking up the killswitch wires together, some engines have to have a constant connection, and then the kill switch disconnects that.

take out the spark plug again, and pull the engine repleatedly, if you see stuff coming out of the spark plug, then you have water it in, which you just cleared by doing that.

does it have gas in the tank?

then put the choke on and pull repeatedly, it should start then.

Well the kill switch was working, i did try starting it before disconnecting too. One of the wires for the kill connector looks like it broke while I was disconnecting. Ill have to figure that out...

I just filled it it with gas before riding 6-7 miles.

I pulled it many times with and without the plug in. also upside down.

Well the kill switch was working, i did try starting it before disconnecting too. One of the wires for the kill connector looks like it broke while I was disconnecting. Ill have to figure that out...

I just filled it it with gas before riding 6-7 miles.

I pulled it many times with and without the plug in. also upside down.
hmm, is the primer bulb cracked?
that could cause it not to start.

hmm, is the primer bulb cracked?
that could cause it not to start.

No, its a brand new carb, no leaks. I still have the old crab that works, perhaps ill switch it back, but it was running before the rain.

Fixed the kill switch and it gave me a lil' cug. Idk why.. Switched back to the old carb and it started in a few pulls. Now its starting, I think i just need to tune the carb a bit and replace the throttle spring and the adjustment bolt is backing out from vibration.... arn't small engines a blast.

I bet your mag was soaked and shorted out while wet. Keep an eye on it, it might start to rust. Put some oil on it to prevent that.
Only a tweaker would set up a killswitch to complete the connection on these types of engines. If set up in this manner, if the switch got wet, or broke and grounded out, there's nothing to kill the engine. Killswitches on mag and cdi sparked ignitions are't like car ignition switches, they short the circuit when activated, instantly killing the engine because sparks aren't making it to the cylinder anymore.

Last edited:
I bet your mag was soaked and shorted out while wet. Keep an eye on it, it might start to rust. Put some oil on it to prevent that.

Only a tweaker would set up a killswitch to complete the connection on these types of engines. If set up in this manner, if the switch got wet, or broke and grounded out, there's nothing to kill the engine. Killswitches on mag and cdi sparked ignitions are't like car ignition switches, they short the circuit when activated, instantly killing the engine because sparks aren't making it to the cylinder anymore.

Sorry to ramble, im just trying to figure this out. its my first engine repair.

The biggest improvement seemed to be from when i changed the carb back. Do you think it was the mag then when I drained the carb I misaligned or caused a new problem, or was it just running off the old batch of gas in the primer bulb? or was there a tiny bit of water that came out of the connection hose? or was that just impatience and it would have started eventually with either carb?

Biggest issue with little pumper carbed engines is running E-10 gas in them. See if you can find non-ethanol gas locally. Premix your gas and oil in a separate gallon sized gas container. Keep the bike out of the rain.

Back