36 Hours of Fixes

Engine Silencer

Hi Slogger!

Yes I designed a mod that works very well. You get a second cover press a peace of tire tread into it after squeezing some RTV silicone all around the inside edge. The excess RTV will ooze out so don't worry about putting too much in the cover. Then you clamp a thin sheet of steel over that between two peaces of wood. You let it sit over night. Then you grind the steel to match the cover. You have to grind it towards the cover so you don't bend or kink it. The steel plate is installed to prevent any possibility of your clutch being contaminated by the rubber or RTV. Then drill the steel to match the holes on the first cover. I used an old steel belted radial tire for the tread and a peace of an old VCR cover for my steel plate. The first cover I removed the entire center to within 1/2 inch of the outside then sandwiched the two together. Then just bolt it to the engine with longer screws or hex socket head bolts. It's hard to notice the mod, but there are 2 clutch covers now. Here's a picture.

http://i.imgur.com/0dbjXzK.jpg

Where to get the longer screws? Your local hardware or ebay. I purchased lots so I could do it to my backup engine as well. Here's a link to one of the sellers I use. Measure before buying so you order the right size bolts. They carry many different sizes and lengths.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Metric-T...509?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e9f51c95

Dave
AssembleThis

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I just had a major failure on this jalopy of a computer today, so I just now read the replies.
It looks like there is a market for a quieter Happy timer out there.
I like the idea.. I wonder if the second cover sticking out might interfere with my pedal. I'll find out if my engine ever gets here. Being patient is tough.
:unsure:

Engine Silencer

Hi Slogger!

Don't know if it will but if it wont try the mod. It's very cheap to make and works very well, much better than slapping something inside or outside. The alloy that the cover is made of, combined with how thin it is, turns it into a drum. I tried other available mods, before I designed it but was not happy with the results from other mods attempting to reduce the sound. That metal banging sound was very annoying to me.

Dave
AssembleThis

I will check it out, Tom. A quieter engine would make it worthwhile for me.
The fins sing a lot because they are thin and long. I am considering using a belt sander to take a little material off them, not enough to degrade them as heat sinks, but to make them stronger against the vibes. Just a half-baked idea, I will need to study the engine up close to see if it might help. Any thoughts about that?

I will check it out, Tom. A quieter engine would make it worthwhile for me.
The fins sing a lot because they are thin and long. I am considering using a belt sander to take a little material off them, not enough to degrade them as heat sinks, but to make them stronger against the vibes. Just a half-baked idea, I will need to study the engine up close to see if it might help. Any thoughts about that?

I'm thinking rounding the corners a little deeper would make a huge difference without sacrificing much cooling capabilities. cutting some brass rod to fit between the fins and fixing it in place couldn't hurt either

I'm glad it sounds reasonable to someone out there, butre. As far as stabilizing the fins, after a little shaving I'm thinking about some tough, hard, small diameter fuel or vacuum line (the black type) cut into short lengths to get a tight interference fit between the fins.
The hard rubber hose pieces should damp out vibration pretty good, if the heat doesn't soften them up.

Back