36MPH on a 4 Stroke

• Thread starter Deleted Member 4613
  • Start date

Note that in the Cyclechaos article they call the C-100 an OHC, when it was a pushrod OHV. Think a bit about that, because at that same time Harley's OHV Sportster was making less than 50 H.P.
My first real motorcycle was a pushrod c100. I bought it used from a friend who's family pretty much let it sit in their back yard for years. Being a stupid teenager, all I did was clean the carb, change the oil and ride it- and it went pretty good; my B/S minibike could put up a pretty good fight with it, but having suspension, 3 speeds and full size wheels were nice. After a couple of months, I ventured to adjust the valves, which until then, I didn't touch. The adjuster nut for the intake rocker was missing and was found inside the cup-nut for the exhaust rocker on the bottom side. Screwed it back in and put the motor back together, and Holy Cow, that thing now had some stink! And ALL THE WHILE BEFORE, it ran with it's adjuster laying in the bottom of the rocker box and the intake valve barely cracking open! Loved that bike.

The Honda GX25/31/35's are rated at about 9K maximum and about 1.3 to 1.5 hp. and they have forged steel with needle-bearings on their rods with two piece forged crankshafts running in ball bearings.

I kind of doubt the HuangShen Honda clone copies with their plain aluminum conrod with splash lube can take a steady diet of above 7000 rpm at load.

Honda's first US sold motorcycle; the C-100, 49 cc Super Cub has a 9K rev limit. It will actually float the valves if you run faster than 8500. There was all sorts of intake and exhaust trickery used on these old Honda bike's engines to get 4.5 H.P. out of 49 cc's that I don't see on these HS44 engines. The fact that you can only get 1.6 h.p. out of the HS versus the1962 Honda C-100's 4.5 h.p is telling me that you'ld be lucky to get 26 mph out of a HS engine. Honda's little C-100 mill would just touch 42 mph on a flat road with a skinny rider like myself aboard. Hondas ran 17x2.25 tires and weighed about 160# and had a 3 speed semiautomatic clutched transmission. They were marvels for performance per cubic inch in 1962.
The hs engine is based off the gx 50 and puts out 3hp.so 4.5 hp is not unimagineable

4k miles on a 2 stroke, still looks awesome inside. No scratches, just a little normal piston skirt wear. Rings still seal nice and it runs like a top!! Now the frame is crap. More scrap welded to it than a modern artist crap work. You could almost call my scrap yard of a bike art if you look at it like that. Its got 4k miles though an no signs of slowing down. 2 strokes last just as long as a 4 stroke if you take care of them.
How far do you ride it daily?

I ride mainly weekends now. But after 4 years of riding it. 4 k is low for me. I put 5k on my motorcycles at least. But around 200 miles a weekend riding. So about a gallon and a half or so of gas a weekend. Used to ride every single day. To busy to now.
My 2smoke always blew up at 500miles due to a bunch of failures

What was the tuning? Any mods? Or was it just generic kits? Some of those cheaper kits are a crap shoot. I buy brand name for my personal bikes. The extra 50 tacked on is peace of mine for me. All the bikes I've built are still going. I grease all bearings lightly then slap case halves together ( more than that, but being simple here in type), replace the gudgeon bearing with a scooter bearing rated at 20k rpm, an use lucas 2t oil mixed with blendzall castor blend. The blendzall is 444 i think. Not at home so i cant check. An i really beat the crap out of my bikes. Not like full throttle till it blows beating, but im rough on 'em and ride them hard.

REALLY???...My last 2 stroke, a Seeutec, (still got it on a shelf and its still good), went 6000 trouble free miles before the bike frame broke...lol.

I intend to get even more than that from the better made Zeda 80 im now using...its got 900 miles on it right now and still going strong...DAMIEN

REALLY???...My last 2 stroke, a Seeutec, (still got it on a shelf and its still good), went 6000 trouble free miles before the bike frame broke...lol.

I intend to get even more than that from the better made Zeda 80 im now using...its got 900 miles on it right now and still going strong...DAMIEN
You need a welder. Broken frames just need a little mandaid and they will go again. I'm gonna get a pic of my scrap yard bike I named green bean. You'll be like wtf. lol

Back