388 Mile Ride: Laguna Woods, CA, to Mammoth Lakes

Hi SimpleSimon -- I was under the impression that to disengage GEBE only took a minute or two. A nice feature of the friction drive is how quickly the motor can be engaged and disengaged. I've even done it while riding, though no while loaded. At this stage, I don't want a pure and permanent motor bike, but rather a true moped, which is what the friction drive is.

Having said that, I motored most of the time on this ride, but also pedal-assisted the motor. It helped and I got exercise. I'm sure the same can be done with GEBE.

One other potential GEBE drawback: flats. On the trip to Mammoth, I had 7 or 8 flats, four of which were on the rear tire. The GEBE does not allow use of a quick release hub. Having to undo a nut and bolt for each flat can be a bit of a process, particularly on a windy day at the side of a busy highway or in the rain. Of course Friction Drives don't even work in the rain, do they?

I'm both surprised and happy to report there were no flats on the return ride which went about 351 miles to Ponderosa and Camp Nelson in the Sequoia National Forest. Luck of the draw, I guess. Total Mileage for the entire trip was just under 800 miles. Not a bad test indeed.

I will be very interested to see your GEBE modifications when you get them done!

Last edited:
Back