3D Printed Fuel Tank?

Freddy Snottgrass

Local time
1:24 AM
So there is this place in my town that offers a full service bike shop, wood shop, audio & video studios, and a computer & robotics lab. Full access for 35 bucks a month membership. They have a few different 3D printers and one of them prints in a resin of some sort. I did a search and didn't come up with anything so I was wondering if people have tried printing gas tanks and what material type should be used for best results. I guess it would have to be flexible so it dents and not crack...

Oh just the problem of having an awesome 3D printer available and needing something cool and maybe original to make with it. Also, I've seen vids on threads on how people make custom fuel tanks with sheet. I was thinking of building a four stroke cruiser style and the possibility of having a 3D printed in frame mounted tank would be pretty neat. Just thinking right now. I guess it would really depend on the material. You could even print the mounting brackets right into it... idunno just a random thought on a random night.

Depending on the design it would need to be made in 2 halves or w/a lid on it. Then you'd need to figure out how to put the 2 pieces together. Plus filler cap.

Depending on the design it would need to be made in 2 halves or w/a lid on it. Then you'd need to figure out how to put the 2 pieces together. Plus filler cap.
Water bottle works great tooo.

Attachments

• EF5FD3BF-3C69-4E27-A4EC-DC17C28BE8B0.jpeg
    EF5FD3BF-3C69-4E27-A4EC-DC17C28BE8B0.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 247
I think it's a cool idea. If the printer can use a material strong enough to hold up to mounting and fuel proof you could really have something here. The bung and tank could be all 1 piece with the threads on the bung and a cap to match. The area for mounting and the petcock could be beefed up with threads in the bottom of the tank. Probably need to be really beefed up for a lot of threads at the mounts. You would want to thread the petcock for a normal motorized bike petcock for ease of finding replacement parts.
View media item 61839
View media item 61840

I was thinking that if i wanted it to wrap around the tube you can just make it C shaped as well

For the material you should use the same plastic that is used for gas cans and water bottles: HDPE. Not sure on how well it can be extruded from the printer nozzle, but that's the plastic of choice for gasoline applications.
Edit: my closest makerspace is over 30 miles away, wish I had a local one. If I had the starter funds, I would open one up. My town has a lapidary club with a paid monthly membership, and it's lasted decades. If a rock hound club can last, I'm pretty sure a makerspace with drill presses, cnc machines, lathes, sandblasters, various welding machines, 3d printers, a kiln or 2, a forge and bearing press would be very successful.

Last edited:
For the material you should use the same plastic that is used for gas cans and water bottles: HDPE. Not sure on how well it can be extruded from the printer nozzle, but that's the plastic of choice for gasoline applications.
This is way all 2 complicated. Y r u wasting time with a dam 3d printer when u can use a water bottle like i did....... On a side note, can anyone check out the 4 stroke not starting thread. i need to get the engine working stat....

Last edited:
Back