3g cruiser project thread

its an old 3g beach cruiser, with ape hangers and springer forks. i finally got it together and running, after having trouble with the stock tensioner. im working on a spring assisted tensioner. i will update this thread with progress pics as i get more stuff. :)

-tony

picture.php

picture.php

Nicebike! I need to make a longer tensioner for my full suspension bike. My tensioner is a spring loaded tensioner. Its the ONLY way I can ride my full suspension without the chain jumping off the sprocket. If you notice in my photos I am using a manual transmission clutch return spring attached to a floating idler sprocket. I had to get rid of the factory plastic roller tensioner. My chain has to be very tight and was cutting through those plastic idler wheels. Your design will work well if you use the floating idler idea. I modified a stock idler but it is not long enough to allow the sprocket to move up and down in the slot as the suspension flexes so I have to keep it tight. You can blow up these photos to see how I built mine. The clutch return spring is atatched to the frame the other end is hooked to the idler sprocket shaft. The idler sprocket shaft slides up and down in the tensioners slot. When the bike hits a bump the frame flexes and the chain get loose. The return spring pulls up on the idler shaft tightening the chains slack and keeping it from jumping off of the sprocket. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• bike5.5.jpg
    bike5.5.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 381
  • bike1.1.jpg
    bike1.1.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
more pictures. im naming the bike the babymobile.

so far i've got:

back u-brakes, front stockers
dual brake lever
new rims front and back
baby seat and custom mounts
comfy seat
two front lights yet to be hooked(will be using a battery not the white wire)
heavy duty crank and sprocket from a gt dyno

enjoy the pics, comments are appreciated. good or bad

Attachments

• SAM_0037.jpg
    SAM_0037.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 324
  • SAM_0038.jpg
    SAM_0038.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 344
  • SAM_0039.jpg
    SAM_0039.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 304