3rd busted wheel this time it exploded LOL

bakaneko

Local time
12:29 PM
So, is someone trying to tell me something. Ive been using cheap rear wheels with my ebike gas generator hybrid. i saw the rim walls was bulging before it exploded but I thought maybe it will be okay. yeh, i was riding in my neighbor hood luckily pretty slowly. and all of a sudden BANG BOOM the entire rim literally exploded. scared the s**t out of my neighbors, LUL.

the bike is 100 lbs and im like 130 lbs. i do push it to like 43mph and go like 30s and hit tons of bumps. there is no suspension front or rear. i am thinking that this is why people harp about suspension as it helps reduce some of the forces and load off of the tires.

so i saw a craiglist deal for a 26" bike for $15 I will grab the shifters, wheels, and fork off of it. but looks like from prior thread, i cannot use a mountain bike fork on a cruiser bike. still good for that rear wheel and spare front wheel, derailleur, and cables. oke, if this damn wheel explodes too. i will do something about it. ill keep the psi a bit lower this time...

LOL that explosion LOL :ROFLMAO:

I don't have a picture but here is the time mark from the video I took of it. Yeah, LOL, no shrapnel, just startled looks. Luckily I was literally 20 feet from my driveway when this happened. I learned my lesson; front and rear suspension and quality wheel on next high speed ebike. Note, I do think these wheels are fine like in the low 20s just not the 30s and heavy build that I have.

I see you are running rim brakes. Are you using pads meant for your rim? Pads meant for a steel rim wear into alloy rims pretty bad. I only had one rim do that too me, not as bad though.

I remember when my old tires exploded, they were pumped to 60 PSI. They exploded not at the rims but at the place they contact the ground. It was next to a church. Everyone came running outside, and looking around scared (Not only from the church but houses around) and most people looking at me. I almost laughed. To me, it was funny. Like a gunshot. Poor old people in the church I hope none of them had a heart attack and they are OK!

I see you are running rim brakes. Are you using pads meant for your rim? Pads meant for a steel rim wear into alloy rims pretty bad. I only had one rim do that too me, not as bad though.

Its aluminium alloy. I see that on eBay the bike price has increased to $225. $225 for a cruiser bike with rim brakes and low quality parts! Only one seller; I guess you can do what you want at that point. LOL

I don't think shocks would help any------they help you ride smoother but the tire and rim still take the beating hitting bumps and potholes. Art

I use double walled rims. Also I run 26"×2" Kendra 838's tires. I like front suspension and a suspension seat post. This really helps smooth out the ride. I live in the mountains so my bike has hit down hill speeds of 45+ mph. I've only replaced my tires due to ware on them. I use rim brakes, high quality pads is a must. The bike and me weighs 350 lbs total weight. At high speeds you can't be cheap.

Most important of all use a gauged hand pump not an air compressor.

Attachments

• 71naQWcc5qL._SY355_.jpg
    71naQWcc5qL._SY355_.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Never knew there were different pads for steel rims vs alloy/aluminum rims. Do you have any links/info where I can read up on this? Sounds pretty darn important to know this, might save a rim or worse a crash.

Back