4-Cycle Engine Break-In or Engine Damage?

5-7HEAVEN

Howziit guys,

i just installed my 35cc ROBIN engine friction drive kit on saturday. after filling oil and gas, the engine started quickly, idling at factory-set 3000rpm. after a few minutes, i drove slowly to the volleyball/basketball courts next door and slowly drove the courts for 20 minutes. since it was drizzling, i motored/pedalled home and let it set for 3 hours. after that, i started up and drove my 7-mile route to work. just one medium hill near home, to which i used engine and 5th gear with no problem climbing uphill.
on sunday, i drove the bike with a bent rear wheel with the brakes rubbing for half a mile. when i realized the rear brakes and rim were loading up the engine, i pulled over. since my wife was following me, i packed up the bike in her car and drove home. that night, i removed the engine kit and took the bike to the repair shop. so $36 dollars later, with new rim,axle and hub, i sit here reinstalling my engine kit and wonder:
i know that for an automobile engine needs to run above 2000rpm for 20-30 minutes for proper break-in. then oil is changed, valves adjusted,etc.
do these 35cc 4-cycle engines need a similar break-in procedure, or do we just start up, and drive away?
thanks for any help.
Myron

sorry, didn't realizing i was loud. i like small print, and i'll keep the caps down.

Myron

8)

nothing personal...stay tuned for someone with experience to come along and help :)

I'm not certain,,,, but I don't remember any particular instructions on breaking in with the R/S 35cc engine I got.

The owners manual only says to do the first oil change at 20 hours, and then every 50 hours after.
~

8) yeah Doug, i've been reading the manual too. the engine seems to be running okay, i guess. the idle seems rather high; i might try to lower it. maybe then it won't vibrate as much. :eek:
Myron

I don't think you have done anything bad, it is a good idea to vary the speeds, up and down, in 10-20-30 second variations, on all the engines, (except the smallest 25cc, which perform better when "full blasted on straightaways".)

No jackrabbit starts, avoid ethanol, and varied speeds for maybe 5 tankfuls of gas and you should be well on the way to seating the cylinder.

Breaking in Engine

There is really no way for us to tell for sure, but it sounds as though the engine is fine. These are nearly bullet proof machines and though some may have problems, you would know it if it does.

I do not have experience with the friction drives, but if your engine starts easily, sounds good and displays power, and is not belching smoke, the problem is elsewhere. They usually run well even if you flaunt the break-in rules and take it to the max immediately and change oil only when you get low. These are basically trimmer and pump motors, built to run a long time and will take up to 2000 hours to break in - read threads here.

I daresay that you will find few posts here of people who have a Robin, Tanaka, Honda or similar engine that went bust right away or did so without some long term abuse, but I am far from being an expert, so will have to wait on that one.

8) yeah, i think the engine's gonna be fine. i AM taking bama's advice and varying engine speed and not loading up on the engine.
today i had the front tire repaired,transported the bike to work and motored/pedalled 5 miles home. at mile one, the tank's grommet popped off and gas poured onto my butt, drive housing, rear hub and tire. luckily no fire. reinstalled grommet and made a mental note NEVER again to fill the 96oz tank above this grommet level. :eek:
at mile 2, i noticed excess rubber dust all over the bike's back end. THENN i realized that the friction roller was grinding away on my new tire, since i hadn't set the drive deeply enough.
at mile 4, i noticed the old plasticcrankset guide broke a tab, possibly from manhandling the bike onto the car seat.
at least i made it home this time, and the engine effortlessly blew up that one medium-sized hill near home.
methinks the ROBIN engine is getting stronger. :cool:

IMHO you are carrying way too much gas along for your ride, I thought your mileage requirements were 20 miles max per day.

The 22 oz tank on GEBE get's me a little over 43 miles on the 25's, mayyyyybe 30 miles on the 33 (and THAT is going to be solved when I move Tim's GAS TANK discussion over from the other forum).

I wouldn't carry a full tank, especially with the optional car loading.

If you are getting 125-150 mpg, a quarter tank would last 2-3 days.

Have you got a picture of that 96 oz. tank?

Back