4 Stoke making a worrying noise/stalling!

RoadWolf

Local time
12:13 AM
Well, I think I may have killed my engine... so I've had this Honda clone for about a week now and it's been running fine.
However, today while riding home from work (roughly 3 miles away) my engine started making a clank and pinging noise and throttling rough a block from home...
I came to a complete stop and not even 5 seconds later, it stalled out. I walked it for a bit and tried to start it and it fired up and died a few seconds later. I walked it the rest of the way and let it cool completely.

After it cooled, I first:
- checked the oil level which is at recommended level.
- checked to make sure it was getting fuel which it is.
- checked for air leaks and muffler blockage which there is no blockage and it has all new seals.
...and finally checked the idle which after adjusting it a bit, fired right up and held for about 30 seconds which is when I head a distinct ping/clack/gritty noise! ...and than it hard stalled.

I was able to gently pull the cord and it has compression so it's not seized ergo I don't think I've killed it (...yet...) but I'm afraid to even try and turn it over again with that noise.

Any advice for a newbie who wants to be small engine rider?

Thanks much!

What kind of transmission do you have? Issue might be the clutch[?] coming apart. Also the pull start might be involved, rare but possible and easy to pull and check. If the pull start retracts normally you might rule that out, still possible that plastic pawl isn't retracting the way it should.

Honestly, I'm not sure.

Here is a list of specifications that came with the kit...
1. Engine Model: 142F
2. Engine Type: Air-cooled, 4-Stroke, OHV, single cylinder
3. Bore x Stroke: 41.8 x 36 mm (1.65 x 1.42 in)
4. Displacement: 49 cm3 (2.99 cu in)
5. Compression Ratio: 8.0 : 1
6. Net Horse Power Output: 1.6kW (2.1HP) at 7,000 rpm
7. Net Torque: 2.7 Nm (2.0 lbs ft) at 4,500 rpm
8. PTO Shaft Rotation: Counterclockwise (from PTO shaft side)
9. Ignition System: Transistorized magneto ignition
10. Starting System: Recoil Starter
11. Carburetor: Float Type
12. Lubrication System: Forced Splash
13. Governor System: Centrifugal Mechanical
14. Air Cleaner: Semi-dry Type

Does this help at all?

Honestly, I'm not sure.

Here is a list of specifications that came with the kit...
1. Engine Model: 142F
2. Engine Type: Air-cooled, 4-Stroke, OHV, single cylinder
3. Bore x Stroke: 41.8 x 36 mm (1.65 x 1.42 in)
4. Displacement: 49 cm3 (2.99 cu in)
5. Compression Ratio: 8.0 : 1
6. Net Horse Power Output: 1.6kW (2.1HP) at 7,000 rpm
7. Net Torque: 2.7 Nm (2.0 lbs ft) at 4,500 rpm
8. PTO Shaft Rotation: Counterclockwise (from PTO shaft side)
9. Ignition System: Transistorized magneto ignition
10. Starting System: Recoil Starter
11. Carburetor: Float Type
12. Lubrication System: Forced Splash
13. Governor System: Centrifugal Mechanical
14. Air Cleaner: Semi-dry Type

Does this help at all?
not to worry man, your engine is fine!
is your clutch a streight shaft? or is it a tapered shaft?
the main problem with the steight shaft motors (ive had this happen over and over again) is the bushing they include isnt oiled from the factory and in turn parcually seizes to the clutch, causing a screeching sound and the motor stalling out. '

to fix this you need to take off the golden colored bushing and sand other surfaces smooth (becareful! dont over due it) and soak the bushing in oil for a while. then reinstall and it should be fixed! (for a while that is, i service mine once a year just too be safe, and im HARD on my bikes, add to the fact that i got offroading 90% of the time with them)

Looking at the shaft to the drive gear, it looks uniformly sized all the way down so I think straight.
Bingo! That's your problem. Take the golden piece out and sand that just a hair and soak it with oil.

I'll give that a try tomorrow morning and let everyone know if that fixes it. Thank you!
Welcome, and use 500-600 grit sand paper, it shouldnt catch your finger nail when your finshed.
Sand the clutch inner drum where the bushing meets the clutch (and clean the whole clutch while your at it, all the factory clutch dust might affect it as well)
Sand all surfaces that the bushing touches. Very slightly as you dont want too much slop in it (theres a nice inbetween)
After that give it a solid shake down! Dont be gental with it, you want the clutch to heat up good.

One question though... what kind of oil should I soak the bushing in? The same 4 stroke oil that's in my engine or is there is specific one I should use?

One question though... what kind of oil should I soak the bushing in? The same 4 stroke oil that's in my engine or is there is specific one I should use?
Really doesn't matter, i used some 10w-30 i had laying around. The important thing is to let it soak.

Back