4 Stoke making a worrying noise/stalling!

HOLY ____!!! So I just pulled off the clutch and just look at the pads and springs...

Something tells me it should NOT look like that.

My pads are nonexistent and two of the springs are lodged in the upper righthand side behind the disk. Well, now I know what the problem is for sure...
20200506_100646.jpg
20200506_100651.jpg

HOLY ____!!! So I just pulled off the clutch and just look at the pads and springs...

Something tells me it should NOT look like that.

My pads are nonexistent and two of the springs are lodged in the upper righthand side behind the disk. Well, now I know what the problem is for sure...View attachment 95071View attachment 95072
Wow, yea that's not normal.

And You have a tapered shaft engine.
Good news is clutches arnt that expensive
Heres one thats more beefier, but i have no idea if it needs modifying to fit.
And id get a 56t sprocket as you have honestly the worst transmittion model (its only 3:1 cant handle power too well etc.) But a 56t should compensate enough to make it work.
If you have the budget, a grubee belt drive is a world of difference!

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
If it's the worst transmission model, I'd say lets look at upgrading it too rather than putting a bandaid on it every 57 miles (speedometer be praised) or 7 days, whichever comes first. I'll still have to put a new clutch pack in her because hey, got to get to work... but any advice on an upgraded transmission?

If it's the worst transmission model, I'd say lets look at upgrading it too rather than putting a bandaid on it every 57 miles (speedometer be praised) or 7 days, whichever comes first. I'll still have to put a new clutch pack in her because hey, got to get to work... but any advice on an upgraded transmission?
Grubee makes the best one by far, but there not cheap.
And AVOID the 100$ bike berry transmittion, they might be geared higher but there plain JUNK. Id say worse then the one you have.

Id spend the 8$ and get the red clutch. And see if that helps any. As the other options are not cheap.
But 56t sprocket helps bring the ratio closer to the belt drives. And will make the clutches last longer.

Link to grubee transmittion

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all the help. I'll splurge on a transmission after I save for a couple weeks but in the meantime I'll get a new sprocket and one (or three) new clutch sets to get me by.
Honestly, I'm thrilled it was just the clutch and not something more damning... in my experience when you hear grinding, popping and pinking noises from the engine area, it's a death knell for the engine itself.

Thank you so much for all the help. I'll splurge on a transmission after I save for a couple weeks but in the meantime I'll get a new sprocket and one (or three) new clutch sets to get me by.
Honestly, I'm thrilled it was just the clutch and not something more damning... in my experience when you hear grinding, popping and pinking noises from the engine area, it's a death knell for the engine itself.
Yea, id spend the 16$ and buy both clutches and see what they do.
In my experience, the engine itself is the last thing to fail. The things surrounding the motor tend to fail first. For me the chain is the first to fail. I went to tractor supply and bought 10ft of #41 chain (it was like 18$) and that chain is a lot stronger and i haven't managed to snap one yet.

And use locktite on all the bolts so you dont have to go walking back!

I've got a small warehouse of locktite and JB-weld (plus an assortment of auto fluids and parts) from my dad after he passed on last year. He taught me a lot about automotive work but not much about small engines.

Back