4 stroke doesn't want to stay running /power lag, hesitation.

Bradyb123

Local time
5:02 AM
Hey everyone, this is my first time posting, and I'm new to these bikes and their centrifugal clutch system. So we picked up a 4 stroke from someone online who built this bike from scratch, but definitely spend some time on it. Unfortunately that means I can't find much info about it. It ran fine for a while 9 months or so, but then all of a sudden started having some weird problems. So the rear tire spun out of control on start up, it just kept going faster and faster. Pretty wild to see. So I did some research, and learned it was probably the clutch catching the bell. (Forgive me if the terms are wrong) so I pulled it off, greased it up, added a washer Infront of the clutch, behind the bell, and that seemed to help a bit. But now it's having a problem where it feels like it's slipping, almost like it's bogging. I can't wrap my head around what it could be. It was dropped a month ago, the dog jumped up on my girlfriend and she fell over, and I think that's when the problems started. I've included some pictures that might be helpful to someone smarter than me. And insight would be amazing, and I'll try to respond as fast as I can. Thank you so much in advance!

Attachments

• PXL_20210728_023940243.jpg
    PXL_20210728_023940243.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 181
  • PXL_20210728_023954901.jpg
    PXL_20210728_023954901.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 169
  • PXL_20210728_024050247.jpg
    PXL_20210728_024050247.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 188
  • PXL_20210726_040452766.jpg
    PXL_20210726_040452766.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 179
  • PXL_20210728_023948322.jpg
    PXL_20210728_023948322.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 173
So the rear tire spun out of control on start up, it just kept going faster and faster. Pretty wild to see. So I did some research, and learned it was probably the clutch catching the bell.
I think I can see where a piece of clutch shoe chipped off. Maybe the chip was wedged in between the shoe and drum.
When ya took the clutch apart the chip fell out and that fixed it.
so I pulled it off, greased it up, added a washer Infront of the clutch, behind the bell, and that seemed to help a bit. But now it's having a problem where it feels like it's slipping, almost like it's bogging.
When you say "greased it up" you mean you just greased the Bushing right?
Did grease fling off and get on the clutch shoes? Because that will make the clutch slip.
A slipping clutch causes the RPMs to race. But you also describe it as bogging. Did the washers you added cause binding?

Make sure the bushing isn't seizing to the shaft. Ya might need a new Bushing.
The Bushing that comes with the engine in not an Oilite Bushing. I recommend an Oilite bushing.
Oilite Bushings are impregnated with oil so they don't start seizing to the shaft.

Contact @Deleted Member 4613 he can recommend where to get an Oilite Bushing He also can recommend installation.
He just did this to his Clutch

I think I can see where a piece of clutch shoe chipped off. Maybe the chip was wedged in between the shoe and drum.
When ya took the clutch apart the chip fell out and that fixed it.

When you say "greased it up" you mean you just greased the Bushing right?
Did grease fling off and get on the clutch shoes? Because that will make the clutch slip.
A slipping clutch causes the RPMs to race. But you also describe it as bogging. Did the washers you added cause binding?

Make sure the bushing isn't seizing to the shaft. Ya might need a new Bushing.
The Bushing that comes with the engine in not an Oilite Bushing. I recommend an Oilite bushing.
Oilite Bushings are impregnated with oil so they don't start seizing to the shaft.

Contact @Deleted Member 4613 he can recommend where to get an Oilite Bushing He also can recommend installation.
He just did this to his Clutch
Thanks for the response!

I never realized that chip was in the clutch, there at the bottom. But yeah, I can definitely see that happening. I guess their pretty delicate then?

Yeah, we just put a little oil on the center bearing of the clutch there. And the washer was just one that I had relocated from the front of the clutch, and sandwiches it between the bell and the clutch. If that makes sense. It seemed to help for a bit. Again, Ive never built one, and don't know anything about the motor, so I'm having a hard time finding anything about it.

I mean bogging, like it wanted to go faster, but then didn't, and just was trying to catch up. So logically, I would consider that slipping, right? I will definitely look into your recommendation on that bushing. Is it a one size fits all?

Thanks so much again!

So here's a video of it running. I'm thinking it needs grease, and Im not sure if the chain too loose or what's going on with it. Hopefully someone can school me on what I'm doing wrong. That was it just starting, with the choke off.

Back