4 Stroke Engine will not Start!!

Wait i forgot to mention that when removing the valve cover, i tore thegasket. So when i tried to start the engine, there wasnt a gasket. But it did start with carb fluid without a gasket.
Would that be a problem? I heard u can even start engines with the valve cover off, so i dont see why its not working... Perhaps should i use permatex gasket maker on the valve cover and would that help it start?
Also, if your pulling out the jet, take out the emmision tube (the long brass piece the falls out with the jet) and see if its clogged as well (on my mini bike, thats why it didnt start)
And you have to give it a bit of throttle as your starting it since you removed the govener (helps its start easier)
Also, its hard getting a real reading in these engines as they have a built in compression release

Ok
Also, if your pulling out the jet, take out the emmision tube (the long brass piece the falls out with the jet) and see if its clogged as well (on my mini bike, thats why it didnt start)
And you have to give it a bit of throttle as your starting it since you removed the govener (helps its start easier)
Also, its hard getting a real reading in these engines as they have a built in compression release
I was able to get it to run for a minute but I had to start it off starter fluid with the air filter off. But when I put the air filter on, it died.... yet the air filter is new and not clogged?? I did this again, started without filter and it ran until I put the air filter on and then it died immediately.
I also noticed a tiny amount of white smoke from the exhaust that smells burnt or something.....

Last edited:
Ok

I was able to get it to run for a minute but I had to start it off starter fluid with the air filter off. But when I put the air filter on, it died.... yet the air filter is new and not clogged?? I did this again, started without filter and it ran until I put the air filter on and then it died immediately.
I also noticed a tiny amount of white smoke from the exhaust that smells burnt or something.....
Does the filter have water in it? Thats what happened with my lawn mower

Does the filter have water in it? Thats what happened with my lawn mower
Maybe. Its possible, i would suspect so. We had lots of rain here in NJ for the past week. But i did store it inside, but i think one day it was left outside. Here is it working. But what about the smoke part from the muffler. Is that normal. Plus the muffler gets really hot, which i would guess is normal too.

Maybe. Its possible, i would suspect so. We had lots of rain here in NJ for the past week. But i did store it inside, but i think one day it was left outside. Here is it working. But what about the smoke part from the muffler. Is that normal. Plus the muffler gets really hot, which i would guess is normal too.

Well, the pipe getting hot is normal, the white stuff is out the exhuast is unburned fuel (becuse that fioter is clogged in someway thats not letting air in, causing a rich mixture)

Could you do a video of how its not running when you put on the airlfiter, thst would help a lot

Well, the pipe getting hot is normal, the white stuff is out the exhuast is unburned fuel (becuse that fioter is clogged in someway thats not letting air in, causing a rich mixture)

Could you do a video of how its not running when you put on the airlfiter, thst would help a lot
when i put on the air filter, it dies immediately...

when i put on the air filter, it dies immediately...
First off let me just say you are one very talented young man. Most 16 year olds couldn't read a tape unless it was required learning to get to the next level of a vid. game. Have you considered making your own high flow air filter?

Yea, i know
get the engine running, put the airfilter on, and let it come to a stop.

Also, does it run fine when theres no airfilter on it?

Yes it runs fine without the air filter. It dies the second in install the air filter.... Why?! The airfilter is stock... Maybe ill try to dry it. I noticed it was damp with fuel or maybe water. Im not sure....

First off let me just say you are one very talented young man. Most 16 year olds couldn't read a tape unless it was required learning to get to the next level of a vid. game. Have you considered making your own high flow air filter?
Ill look into it. But ill be away for 3 weeks in a pre-college program that i was cough cough** forced to sign up into. But i wonder why a stock filter shouldn't work.... Its funny, because as i said, my mom doesn't like me working in the garage and i always have to be careful to close up before she comes home to avoid a big argument, consequently we never really get along.

Back