4-stroke engines quieter?

No, I don't think a frame mount is any quieter due to the muffler. The external size of the muffler does not mean much. The amount of restriction in the muffler is what affects the sound. I ran my Honda with the stock muffler before I mounted it on the bike and if anything, it is a big louder with the larger muffler attached.

My honda gx50 is quiet as a whisper at idle and at 3/4 its still quiet. As to a 2 stroke do you ever want to throw rocks at the landscape guys doing lawns cuzz they make so much noise? That should answer your question.

I have 3 engines. 2 2-strokes and the RS EHO35. I prefer my tanaka 33cc 2stroke over the other 2. Louder? Yes. And the out and about problem of mixing oil and gas is taken care of by just carrying 1 or 2 bottles of pre-volumed oil to put in gas tank when refueling. I can run the 2 stroke ALL day long. Can't do that with the 4 stroke. Neither can the 4 stroke be run at full throttle for long periods of time. I guess it's just really a matter of what floats your boat. Mine is floated by the Tanaka 2 Stroke.

2 strokes have twice as many explosions than 4 strokes for the same rpm,so the exhaust note is more high pitched that's why they sound "louder",more "piercing" is prob. the right way to describe it.They are also sensitive to the exhaust system,esp. when high-end performence is concerned.With
proper intake &exhaust tuning they are capable of astonishly high performance.All records in motorcycle racing were held by 2 strokes.Ignition is also critical, the plug fires at twice the rate.It's like comparing a finely tuned but temperamental race horse to a more reliable but plodding Clydesdale.I have allways ridden 2 stroke cycles, ( DKW,Suzuki Yamaha Kawasaki)because of that nice combination of low weight&high power,only the Kawsaki Ninjas are in that class.
A 4 stroke engine is not hurt by the exhaust system but a clogged one (unlikely) can cause overheating which can burn your exhaust valve.But if you have none at all you may warp the E valve upon shutdown due to rapid cooling.Low quality 2 strokes like the HT engines are not worth messing with in my opinion,unless you are a glutton for punishment but the Japanese ones Tanaka,Mitsu. are nice light simple and reliable engines.The Mitsubishi TLE 43 engine has a clever scavenging system that reduces emissions significantly while improving gas consumption

I have 3 engines. 2 2-strokes and the RS EHO35. I prefer my tanaka 33cc 2stroke over the other 2. Louder? Yes. And the out and about problem of mixing oil and gas is taken care of by just carrying 1 or 2 bottles of pre-volumed oil to put in gas tank when refueling. I can run the 2 stroke ALL day long. Can't do that with the 4 stroke. Neither can the 4 stroke be run at full throttle for long periods of time. I guess it's just really a matter of what floats your boat. Mine is floated by the Tanaka 2 Stroke.

by full throttle do you mean above 20mph:D?

what happens when you try to run the eho35 all day?what does it do?

My Honda 4 stroke carries me close to 40 mph at full throttle....Do that for too long and it'll blow, but I can run "all day" at 25-30.

Most engines are simply not designed to be run at full throttle or very high rpm for extended periods.The inertional forces go up with the speed squared.This produces high stresses and much accelerated wear on the crankshaft and con. rod bearings.Cooling may also become inadequate,resulting in piston failure.There the forced-air cooled engines have a significant advantage.Lean mictures are a death sentence,extra alcohol with it high heat of evaporation helps cooling things down inside.Synthetic oils that don't break down at elevated temp. are essential.Because of the limited power availability, it's easy to overstress these small displacement engines.Two strokes tend to be more robust because of their inherent design simplicity (as long as they don't overheat).Lower quality engines should be treated gently, that means, look for larger displacement one and ride conservately.It will make them last a lot longer.

I agree. I'd hate to mix oil if I had to fuel away from home.

And for a 4-stroke, oil changes are no problem, being they take less than a quart of oil!
I can change my Titan engine 4 times from one quart of oil. So with that I got Racing Mobile One Synthetic 10-40 at $9.50 a quart.
I like that it's 10-40.
This gives me peace of mind that I can make a small investment for reliability.
It's overkill but so what.

Back