4 stroke install, I need help.

Ok, I'm slowly getting it. I like the idea of maybe a longer line and run it out of the way somewhere. As long as it doesn't act as a siphon.

Another dumb question. "open the drain" Where is the drain? (And yea, good idea to have. Be easier to drain the gas when I need to.)
IMG_5246 (1)-1.jpg

That or it's a small brass/metal screw like object very very close to the drain line. The overflow/drain can never behave as a siphon due to design, it's like a hole in the side of a cup in essence, fill it as much as you'd like, once you fill it higher than the hole the fluid pours out, but only up to the level of the hole, and stops. An overflow is a fancy hole in the side of a cup, basically.

Wow this forum is great. I've learned so much just reading this today. Thanks.

Well my neighbor to the rescue. He hooked up his big torch, heated my pipe to a glowing orange, and twist. It did fold in just a bit but I don't think enough to restrict anything.
Then he had to heat it again to give the mounting plate a slight twist. I need to file down some burs on the mounting plate, but that wont be tough. Hoping any car place will have a gasket I can cut to size.
I looked through every bag of parts. NO gasket to be found.
His torch gave the pipe a nice pretty purple sheen. It's ok. The shinny silver right behind the front wheel would be black soon enough.

Ok, onto the next mission. Attaching the transmission.
Again including photos of my non instructional, no help offered parts.
The transmission came with two hex bolts and nuts attached. It calls for 4. And no where in any of the parts bags are matching parts.
I do have a bag marked VRI install studs. (GRRRR why do people substitute letters for EVERYTHING? WHAT does VRI stand for anyway????)

So, I tried one in the motor, and it does in fact fit the holes. Seems a little long but I have not yet tried putting anything on it. Just wanted to see if those fit. They do.

Are the two hex bolts only holding parts together for shipping? I'm suppose to remove those and use the parts in that bag? OR…. Am I missing yet more pieces?

I did find a real good video on this, worth sharing. but again, his looks a tad different from mine. Still for where I'm at, just getting it attached, should be good.
And… he is using all hex bolts. Not those threaded studs.

Ok, images.
IMG_5247.JPG
IMG_5249.JPG

OH this is just flipping great. So watched his video, there are three settings one could mount this. Which is good. Where it was originally in the middle of the three I'd have to cut my fender. Drive chain is way up higher than my old two stroke.

First, studs. Yea well when you CUT a threaded rod to make a stud, it's darn near impossible to not foul the threads on it. The one I tried went in easy. NONE of the other three did. Serious cussin just went on out there trying to not screw up the threads, yet get a grip through a stack of paper towels and tighten the things into the motor.
Finally got that much.

THEN his stupid transmission will NOT line up on the holes I'd like to use. ONE hole is obviously drilled in the wrong spot. Ever so slightly. So ok, went at it with my metal bit, widened the hole enough.

Well… ha. The whole piece doesn't line up with the clutch now. Not even close. I'll have to use the center holes, cut my fender. What GARBAGE parts!!!!!!! I am SO regretting ever buying from Dax.

IMG_5251.JPG

Sorry you're not having a decent experience with dax. I've bought 3 engines off them and had no problems at all with the 2 strokes, but i haven't tried a 4 stroke build yet.
I always call that guy from dax and he seems to have never steered me in the wrong direction.
to tighten those studs use the Double nut procedure.
Screw one nut on halfway then screw another nut on top of that one and tighten them both with two wrenches.
Once they are tight together just use the last nut you put on to torque the stud down.
Then use two wrenches again to undo the two nuts and voila ;)

Like i said though, sorry you're having a s**tty experience with dax.

My wonderful neighbor to the rescue. First that one stud under the yellow tension wheel there? WAY too long. IT had to go. Used one of the TWO hex bolts he supplied.
With considerable HAMMERING to get the thing to seat, we got it on.

Did not know about the double nut thing. That would have made it easy.

SO I have it on. Got the belt on easy enough. Not sure just how tight that tension wheel should be. Kinda just guessing on that one.

Now… his cover. What a hacked together badly, piece of doodle (yes insert the big S word there.)
Thankfully he has a video on that now too.

What a hunk of garbage!!!!!!! Sheet metal, badly cut, NO edge filing there. Hacky spot welding job (mine has one big blob of welt sticking out of it.)
I thought this thing would keep water, dirt, gunk out of the transmission? Scroll to the end of his video. It doesn't even cover the clutch part at all.
And I'm telling ya, if I brush my leg against it, I'll be slicing my skin off.

I tried squirting some liquid metal around the inside edge before I realized this thing will do NOTHING to keep anything off the clutch. It's not sticking anyway.

Can I find a better cover for this somewhere? Or is this a custom part only he has? (Boy NEVER again. NEVER EVER EVER again.)

I'm almost debating just buying a whole new transmission. Kinda wanted to try his. On his site he brags about how great it is. Yea well another issue,
the main pully wheel, the one that covers the clutch bell, is not perfectly centered. Spin it and you can see. I don't know yet how this will effect performance, but it can't be good.

Should never hammer your bolts in :eek:
The belt should have approximately 1/2 inch or less play when you push your finger onto it.
Get yourself a dremel tool. I've bought 2 strokes off a few vendors and ALWAYS have to clean up ports and or grind something down to make things the way that I need them to roll, hopefully that makes a little sense.
There is always something for us to tweak ;)

There are vendors out there that go the extra mile when selling these little noise makers. They actually do all of the work for you, but then, that's no fun is it?
Then they gouge you with the 500.00 +/- dollar engine price:rolleyes:
I hope you get it all fixxed up and riding it soon artmaker.
Remember, nothing is written in stone with these things and there is always something to tweak ;)

Ok on the belt. I'll check next time I go out there to frustrate myself.

Got it together. At least on my table. Still haven't actually attached the motor to the bike. See another problem with his poor instructions. The ONLY way to line up the gears is before the motor is bolted down.
I see more tweaking on that dumb mounting bracket of his already. The line up looks close but I haven't actually put a straight edge to it. Had to get the transmission attached first.

The cover for his stupid transmission just plain doesn't fit right either. And I really hate the sharp edges. Going to ask my neighbor again if he can weld some kind of smoother edge onto this thing.

I had to walk away from the whole mess. I so wanted it done by memorial day but it just isn't going to happen. OH well.

BTW I have a dremmel. Great tool that is. I use it mainly for wood carving. Check out the walking sticks on my site.

if you can't get what you want form your current trans. you could check with bicycle engines.com. They have a ad on this site. I believe their 4g belt drive tranny will work. It's a nice clean design with a good rep.

Back