4-stroke mufflers and spark arrestors

I'd like to know your experiences with mufflers and spark arrestors on 4-stroke bike engines. I'm not sure a muffler is required in my area, but the spark arrestor definitely is (it's practically all USNF here).

Spark arrestor part numbers for Honda GXH50:
18350-ZM7-801
PCA-1151

Last edited:

CrazyDan

Steel wool in a tin can is a spark arrestor, just don't pack it too much and leave many exit holes to not impede flow.

Steel wool in a tin can is a spark arrestor, just don't pack it too much and leave many exit holes to not impede flow.
Thank you.
Spark arrestors have to be a model approved by the USNF to be used in the USNF (at least in CA), so that will not be an option unfortunately.

Last edited:

bakaneko

the stock muffler seems good to me. some folks use the 2-stroke muffler and have decent results. i tried it and i cannot tell the difference. there are also the short and long performance mufflers. they also make the engine not sound like a lawn mower so that is that.

hmm, affordable go karts don't have those mufflers anymore but im sure you can find it on eBay or a different vendor. here is a guy using a short race muffler I believe

the stock muffler seems good to me.
By "the stock muffler" do you mean the little box muffler, or the one on a pipe that hangs between the frame and front wheel? I have seen the kind that hangs down fairly often, but my kit just has the little box muffler.

bakaneko

yeah, the little box is the stock muffler. the one you are referring to is probably the 2-stroke muffler that they sometimes include with the kits. i think they are about the same but i am not looking for optimal performance just functionality

Thanks @bakaneko. I'm glad to hear that I don't have to rig up a muffler, at least not right away. There's a spark arrestor that drops right into the stock muffler too.