4 stroke reliability and parts availability / build advice

Toby woodman

Local time
11:09 AM
So, having had 4 two stroke engines fail on me, I am looking for something more reliable. I just have a few questions about the reliability and rebuild parts availability. anyone who has a four stroke kit which is a centre mount style. I have a few gentle hills and a couple of short moderate ones. how do these engines handle them. also, how easy to find are the parts for rebuilding and general maintenance. any experiences with these 4 strokes would be greatly appreciated as I am wanting some advice before I spend more of my money.

Also, how often do these engines need rebuilding comparatively to a two stroke?

In frame, FD, rear rack, what cc size? Need to narrow it down a little to get specific answers. In my experience with 4 strokes the most common issue is the carb getting dirty after using one for a season and sitting for months. That can be minimized by running it dry and emptying the fuel tank. You can go 3 years no carb issues so it's up to karma. I like FD's for simplicity and fun. Wet weather affects the roller a lot so to me it's a fair-weather ride, just a hobby. If the weather sucks I don't want to ride anyways. I like the Honda gx50 for it's torque and 2hp, plus being 48cc [max 50cc] it's legal here. 4 strokes generally will go 1000's of miles w/o rebuilding. Tires and clutches will be your biggest issue before that. Take care of it, change the oil, clean filter etc..

anyone who has a four stroke kit which is a centre mount style.
In frame, FD, rear rack, what cc size? Need to narrow it down a little to get specific answers
He did narrow it down...He said he is going with a center mount style motor which means in frame...Reading IS fundamental...lol.

I'm fine with carbs and chain issues. does anyone have any experience with parts on the china 4 strokes.

Here will be the ultimate 4 stroke build using a small engine. A Honda 50 is the better choice but more expensive than Huasheng 142 or 144.

You'll need a 30 series torque converter with a 10t sprocket on it, a jackshaft with 40t and 10t sprockets on it, and a 44t rear sprocket. You'll also have to have the adaptors to mount the 30 series torque converter.

Your drive system will look like this:

(3~1\1, 10t)~(40t,10t)~(44t).

This'll give you a reduction range of 52.8~17.6\1. It'll also be fully automatic. You'll have a level ground speed around 30 mph. The thread below tells you how to attach the torque converter to a small 4 stroke engine.

I've had my 4 stroke for 13 years and it has close to 5000 hours of use on it. I've only replaced the spark plug. I change my oil every 25 hours of use, clean the air filter every 10 hours of use, and only use E-free gas. I've also built a bike in the past that shifted gears automatically.

If you are dead set on staying 49cc, get the Honda engine recommended above. Genuine Honda is hard to beat. As the saying goes, buy once, cry once.

If you don't mind cheesing the 49cc part of the law a little then Lifan has a vertical 79cc engine that is also known to be super reliable. Phatmoto uses this engine on their bikes.

okay. is it possible to swap a honda gx50 onto the mounts for a 49cc 4 stroke kit. does the clutch from that kit fit as well?

Back