4-stroke running in

I

Irish John

Does the Honda GXH50 or the Chinese 4-stroke rip-off need running in. There is no mention in the manuals or instructions?

MBC EDIT: THIS THREAD HAS BEEN MOVED

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes, all engines need to be broken in.

For 4-strokes, run regular dino oil in crankcase for about 7 hours before changing oil. Then run for 10~25 hours every other time before changing, switching to synthetic whenever you feel like it. To me, synthetic oil is more important to 4-strokes than 2-strokes.

Thanks,
What is dino oil? Brand names don't travel well unless it is Castrol or one of the worldwide brands. I would be changing the oil a lot because I do 10 hours a week easily. I don't want to be replacing silicone gaskets every week when I change the oil. Why do you recommend synthetic oil for the gearbox? Or are you meaning synthetic oil in the engine?
I have no oil in my clutch but have greased the gears with lithium grease.

Dino oil is short for Dinosaur oil or regular 10w-30 and 10w-40 motor oil whatever the brand it may be.

I have a question on oil seeing I'll be getting that Titan in a couple of weeks I can't wait.
Would Mobile One oil with that low viscosity be alright? Or would a straight blend 10w-30 or 10w-40 be better? Synthetic is great and all but I worry about it being thinner,you know?
What about Synthetic blends?

Last edited by a moderator:

For 4-strokes, run regular dino oil in crankcase for about 7 hours before changing oil. Then run for 10~25 hours every other time before changing, switching to synthetic whenever you feel like it. To me, synthetic oil is more important to 4-strokes than 2-strokes.

That's what the manual says except it recommends 10-30 oil. What I want to know is how often should I change the gearbox oil if I choose to have a wet gearbox. Changing the crankcase oil every 10-25 hrs is a pain because the engine is attached to the bike and wont tilt up enough to empty out the used oil. Any remedies for this? And the gearbox oil change interval as well?

@Large -- Synthetic blend isn't worth it. Pick regular dino or full synthetic. Only tips I can give you on synthetic oil is that syn oils don't really become effective until they've heated up inside the engine... so the benefits of keeping the oil inside the crankcase 2 or 3 times longer than reg. dino is what you use synthetics for. Even tho you're keeping the synthetic in here for 3 times longer than regular oil, DO NOT forget to change your oil filter at regular intervals. (most of this i learned from cars, but it really shouldn't be different for other 4-strokes)

@Irish John -- 10w-30 is common in most places... I'd only use something different if you use something different in the cars in your neck of the woods. If you use synthetic oils, you should change the oil every 30-70 hours instead... just topping off the oil when necessary, and don't forget to change the filter every 10-25hrs!!!

Gearboxes are beyond me, but from what I know about regular automotive lubrication... gearbox oil needs to be changed about 1/5th as often (or so) as engines.

What about Synthetic blends?

I use them. On my larger machines 1600cc Kawi, and my Suzi M109R (VZR1800), that's all I ever use. Never went full synthetic. I ran Amsoil full syn in my Meanstreak, but after 4 years, went back to the blend.
Never understood the logic of spending twice as much on the oil, then keeping it in your crackcase so long. Yes, it will hold up, but think of all that filth in there. I mean, while it's synthetic, and can last longer, do you really want that ? How is that good ?
Amsoil at 3000 miles is dirty. I would never leave it in there an additional 4500 miles like they say you can.

How may miles should you run is a 4-stroke Honda or chinese copy? What max speed during run in? every 10 hours is about every 250kms I've worked out and that is a very short time. Too much trouble. There must be a better oil that last longer.
How do you get the oil out of the engine without turning the bike upside down?

Back