4 - stroke Schwinn Stingray Chopper occ

I have to cut the choke plastic lever down on many 4-stroke builds.

The trick is to epoxy the lever back on, but if you can do that you can orient the lever however you want, like off to the side.

Just a tip ;-}
Thanks for the tip :)

Since you are around, any tip on how to bend the exhaust pipe? I got this one: http://www.bicycle-engines.com/2-Piece-Muffler-Poo-Poo-Pipe-Deluxe.html but it doesn't clear the frame. I was thinking just bending it using a vise to hold the muffler but I'm not sure if I should heat it up or something before.

Still around! winter is being hard in New England, but I'm starting to prepare myself to finish this bike.

Anyone with any tip of how to make this pipe to clear the frame? I'm not sure if I can just bend it...
4S-ES-PPD-main.jpg

Frankenstein

Is that for a 4 stroke? You can bend it yes. A pipe bender might be able to work on something that big, come to think of it a muffler shop should have a machine that could eat 1 inch steel pipe for breakfast, I would believe the guy could bend it in just a few minutes to the exact shape you need. Cut a full size cardboard replica of the path you need, or better yet just bring both to him and ask him to bend it into place so he can have the satisfaction of bringing it together.

Is that for a 4 stroke? You can bend it yes. A pipe bender might be able to work on something that big, come to think of it a muffler shop should have a machine that could eat 1 inch steel pipe for breakfast, I would believe the guy could bend it in just a few minutes to the exact shape you need. Cut a full size cardboard replica of the path you need, or better yet just bring both to him and ask him to bend it into place so he can have the satisfaction of bringing it together.
Thanks! I tough I'll be able to do myself, but it's true that maybe profesional help will be the right choice.

Frankenstein

Thanks! I tough I'll be able to do myself, but it's true that maybe profesional help will be the right choice.
His press won't blue the chrome on the muffler unlike heating to red hot with a torch, if it was raw steel I probably wouldn't have mentioned it since i wouldn't be concerned about the finish lol.

Brief update again:

I ordered a new front fork (I'm not sure if I'll regret it...) like this one:

s-l1600.jpg

It's almost 2 inch shorter than the original one, but it's the closest I found for a good price, I'll update with pictures of how it looks like installed as soon as I get it.
Pros:
- Disk and V-brake compatible
- Shocks for smooth ride
- Heavy duty fork
Cons:
- Look (lack of flames? ;-) )
- Shorter fork

Since it's a little shorter than the original one, I want to try a 26in wheel on it, just for the shake of how it looks and it will give me back the front of the bike to the same high...

I'm planning on rebuilding the front wheel (24 or 26 in, not sure yet) to put a disk hub on it, so I'll add front disk brake to the bike.

lee

Here's a tip for you that will help the looks of your bike and engine. Paint the red engine side cover either satin or flat black, I did on mine really helped the looks. a cheap upgrade in price.

Here is a picture of how it looks with the new fork:
IMG_20180310_183923.jpg

Of course, I have to change the handlebar stem, right now using part of the old fork temporary. Planning on adding the fender and front brake (still deciding and checking for options)

EDIT:
Even that this fork is shorter than the original fork, somehow angle is different, so it ends up having the front wheel a bit closer to the frame, becaming a bit higher than with the original fork, so, not bad.

Last edited:
Here we are back.

I'm working with brakes now, since the new fork has disk brake holes, I went to the bike shop and I got a 24'' back wheel with free wheel, and I ordered this kit from amazon:
61yoYtb32BL._SL1000_.jpg

I'll use only the front one, but it was a good price (I guess not the best quality) and I may want to try to install the back disk brake at some point...

I'll keep you posted with pictures and impressions when I install it.

IMG_20180320_212507.jpg

That's how it looks with new front wheel, disk brake and front fork.

Now looking for solutions to add suspension to the seat, I'm thinking about something like this:

531015bicyclesuspensionsissybar531015.jpg

https://www.bicycledesigner.com/bik...bar/cuda-suspension-sissybar---raw-metal.html
But I'll have to build it myself since I didn't find any compatible with the wide of the back wheel.

Anyway, it is ready to be road tested, just waiting for the (I hope) last snow storm of the winter to pass (I'm located in Massachusetts) to give her a spin!

I'm back,

Finally some "good" weather over the past weekends, I did few test rides and since I was using a 36T sprocket, it was to fast (I didn't get to the top speed) but not quick at all... since I had a 48T around, I tried it yesterday and that one is too big, very quick, but max speed of around 20mph... I just ordered the one in the middle 40T, let's see next weekend how it goes.

I fixed the issue of bending the exhaust, just using flexible exhaust pipe (https://www.ebay.com/itm/111999638791), cutting the original pipe to get the connection to the engine and the muffler and wrapping it with exhaust tape.

Still some work to do on it, but here is a cool picture a friend took of the bike:

IMG-20180405-WA0008.jpg

More updates: 40T with 9T pulley it's the sweet spot (ate least for me and now) good response in low rpms and max speed of 28-30mph [edit] 26-28mph [edit], cruising at 25 mph is smooth and nice.

I'm really happy of how she rides, when the motor goes to fool throttle, I feel like it vibrates too much, I have to spend more time to see if I need to tight the nuts to the frame or it is the muffler...

I rode it for around 1 hour in two 30 minutes ride this weekend, still some adjust to do:
- Find vibration on high rpms.
- Brakes (front is not bad, back is horrible) both to be improved.
- Gas tank, I got an idea from @KCvale to mount it screwed to the top of the frame, will allow me to move it forward (http://kcsbikes.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=804).
- Front fender needs to be installed

Improvements on the To-Do list:
- Moving seat backwards and adding suspension on it
- Lights
- Painting the red part of the motor in black (not an improvement, but I need to spend time on it)
- Kill switch with key

Last edited:
So I wanna put a 4 stroke on a shwinn stingray chopper but the cranks and chain will get in the way can I run the bike without the chain and cranks and just have it powered by the engine would that be able to function correctly ,Hunter
Why to read if I can just write?