4-Stroke Valve Spacing Guide

EM
You will get better power with a lose adjustment on your valves. Tight valves do not let the valve to seat the whole way. It is good to have a little "tick" sound.When I got my kit it was hard to start & had low power. The valves wrer tight from the factory. I also
added a external fuel filter. That got rid of the carb problems
keep it between the ditches/ miky/bikey mike

Hey Crew, Sorry so long since the last post, duty called. I have put serious mileage on my honda gxh50 4 stroke after regapping the valves (300+ miles) and found out that bigger valve gaps on the intake and exhaust is both easy to adjust and makes a big difference in accelaration and top speed (aka more of both). Follow the pics to regap your valves.

I have also included pics of two gasket makers that will work, but are not recommended, as the red gasket maker has melted off my crankcase and head cover.

Emech

That's great info Earth mechanic. Thanks. My Honda dealer told me today that the gaps fopr both valves are .07mm for the GXH 50 and I presume that they are the same for my Huangsheng. Any comment?

Hey MadPc, it's just a hunch but my engine was cutting out intermittently for no apparent reason. If your motor has been suddenly cutting out either long term or split-second it may be the throttle end of your kill switch. My Grubee kill switch is the same old HT crud and it was causing symptoms like you describe. The connections weren't good enough and they kept breaking the circuit until it got too bad to ride the bike.
I wrote about it on the thread below:
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=10868
Intermittent glitches are the pits.

Hey, i recall that you said you turned the engine a full 90 degrees. do you think that oil got up into the engine parts like the cylinder and valves? that might be the problem...or your low oil meter might be cutting the engine short...

jon

Hey, i recall that you said you turned the engine a full 90 degrees. do you think that oil got up into the engine parts like the cylinder and valves? that might be the problem...or your low oil meter might be cutting the engine short...

jon

Well Herrmanator I swivel it regularly to about 55 degrees to change the oil but that shouldn't matter. Oil gets up into the valves cos it is supposedto.
If you take the valve cover off you can see tiny droplets squirting upwards into the air to keep the rockers oiled. No I don't think the motor has oil in the cylinder that hasn't burnt itself off and the plug is clean. It had no real pulling power on hills from the outset before it had ever been swivelled to half vertical with oil in it. It's just a small engine that is a bit gutless on steep hills and great on the rest of the terrain. Doesn't like carrying a heavy load either cos when both paniers are loaded with shopping I have to take the flat road home.

no reply to the valve spacing. Seams like there is a range at which the spacing can be set.

Irish

i had the same experience. maybe try the felt aluminum frame? I have gone minimal on my ride and that is what keeps it fast. but really, the irritating thing is the width of the motor in the frame. I cannot really ride the bike, and i mean i have been a cyclist for 15 years. That is why i am working on mounting my 4 stroke on a rear rack and getting a nice 3 piece crank set and a rear derailler.

The only way we can get a suitable Felt other than the MP in Australia is to get someone in the US to buy it for us and shipo it to us. Felt importer here wants $1500 to get a cruiser in specially for someone and the lead time is a year! Felt dealers here wear stockings over their heads when they sell you the bike so you don't feel so bad about the robbery!

Back